PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

elec fuel press gauge not working properely?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default elec fuel press gauge not working properely?

I just installed a elec nitrous press, elec fuel press and a dynojet wideband. The nitrous and wideband gauge are working correctly but the fuel press is not. It does not go to 100 and back to zero when you turn the ign on and the needle just sits sort of stuck past 100. I can here the gauge make a noise when I turn the key on but the needle barley mooves. Could this be a problem with the sending unit or the gauge. Its a pretty easy install and I did it right so I dont know what is the deal. Any advice...???
Old 02-27-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Is the gauge polarity sensitive?
Maybe try a grnd wire from the sender case, to the engine, or batt -.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

How does changing the ground, change the polarity? You do bring up a good point though.

I have the nitrous press gauge wired the same and its working fine, only thing it doesnt do it sweep from the stop pin back to zero on start up. It does reed pressure though. Hmmm
Old 02-27-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

is it an autometer fuel pressure gauge? i had problem with mine, had to send mine back twice before it worked right. we tested it with air pressure and the thing read fine, went to hook it up to the rail and run it...nadda.. got a new one and its working like a charm
Old 02-27-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If autometer can you tell me what the 5 wires go into the back of the gauge. My gray wire pulled out of my harness, and I don't know what connector location it goes into.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Some..

Originally Posted by 99WS7
How does changing the ground, change the polarity? You do bring up a good point though.

I have the nitrous press gauge wired the same and its working fine, only thing it doesnt do it sweep from the stop pin back to zero on start up. It does reed pressure though. Hmmm

electric gauge senders HAVE to be grounded to the engine/batt -. That's exactly why the mfgrs tell you to NOT use sealing tape.
My Autometer fuel gauge, on my GN had a problem, with the sender not being grounded. That's why I suggested it be tried. You are adding a sure grnd to the sender, not changing the ground...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

I will try that. Thanks for the help.

slow - Yes, it is a Autometer (phantom II) the gray wire is part of the sending unit harness. If your gray wire came out of the harness you just need to re pin it back into the harness. Autometer uese red for 12v ignition wire, black for ground, white for dash lighting, the harness has back, purple and gray.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

also, like i said, I went through 2 of them and nothing was wrong with our wiring or circuit. they both worked for around 4 or so months, and then died. my new one i have had in for over a year and its fine
Old 02-27-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, do you know where in the harness it needs to go back into?

Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-27-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have issues with my elec fuel gauge.

It worked fine for 2+ years and then it will just peg to 100 when it wants to. Sometimes it will stay at 100 for weeks or more. Then it will work for a day or 2 or a few weeks then peg at 100 again.

I've also noticed that when it was pegged at 100 and then I went WOT the the gauge would work (reading 55-58 PSI).

Mine is the newer style with only a few wires and NO box, all the electronics is in the gauge itself.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Well after messing with it some more today I think it is infact the gauge that is messing up. I tried three differnet grounds (GOOD ONES), only using the power wire only tapped into the fuse box ign so see if it would get more power. Ohmed the harness, checked everything. The needle almost seems like its just stuck. It only mooves if I turn the car off and on, the needle will barley moove back a little. It was stuck at 100, now its stuck around 40 and not moving.

Can I just send it back to Autometer or do I need to send it back from where I got it. I got it from a guy on here that has his own shop.