PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

I have question about my Open Loop Tune Hotter and Blows more Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question I have question about my Open Loop Tune Hotter and Blows more Smoke

Ok it has been really hot here and my engine temps have been 210-230 usually I'm at 180-195 . I know IAT temp is higher.Now with an Open Loop Tune am I running richer?Enough to make it Smoke more when I jump on it?from my Rear View mirror it looks greyish.I don't know its really hard to tell.But with an open loop tune my cars computer no longer makes changes for weather ,Correct?
It also seems to have lost some power as well....

Thanks for your input....
Old 07-09-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird, mine leans out with higher temps.

Anyway, open loop simply means no fuel trims since the O2 sensors aren't providing feedback to the PCM. It's closer to a carb'd engine....set it and go type fueling. However, the PCM is still calculating fueling requirements based on what it knows from the injector, VE, MAF, and other fueling tables.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

SSpdDmon ,I would think If its hotter it would need less Fuel.Do to the colder weather mine needs more.Dear God I hope its not that my oil is getting thinner and that was oil I was seeing?I know when I am at 200 degree water temp at idle I have 36-35 oil pressure and now when i am at 220-230 temp my oil pressure at idle I am at 32-33 oil pressure.so oil was a little thinner.Do you think this was oil I was seeing?It was when I floored it on M-59 from a 75 mph role so I was already at Higher rpms....
Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not set your fan temps lower?

Are you running SD or MAF mode?

When you say it's running richer is that all the time, just at WOT, just cruising, or what?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Mouse
SSpdDmon ,I would think If its hotter it would need less Fuel.Do to the colder weather mine needs more.
Logically thinking, yes this is true. However, LS1's and their sensors have a tendency to suffer from heatsoak (at least, this is my theory). The sensors end up thinking the charge is less dense than it really is, which leads the PCM to command smaller injector pulse widths. That's how heat can lean out the motor. I've seen this happen on pretty much every car I've touched (not many, but it's consistent). If you don't have this problem or you have the opposite of this problem, I'd be really interested in looking at your tune...
Old 07-10-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

That makes sense to me SSpdDmon .But I thought an open loop tune didnt use sensors or is just O2's?I am Tuned with a MAF ,its not a SD tune..
Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Open loop simply means O2's are ignored. The IAT, MAP, MAF, ECT, etc. are all still referenced when in open loop.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Open loop simply means O2's are ignored. The IAT, MAP, MAF, ECT, etc. are all still referenced when in open loop.
why do you need IAT and MAP for if the MAF sensor supposedly accounts for temperature and pressure changes?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Because under 4,000rpm, the MAF isn't solely responsible for fueling calculations (unless you force it to be). You've seen the code with 'K' and the infamous 'factor' that has been mentioned in that long-*** thread of mine from a few weeks back. It's my understanding that it's that factor that swings the bias between dynamic airflow fueling calculations (from VE, MAP, IAT, ECT) and MAF measured airflow fueling calculations.