Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Live: BIG Auto VE problem - Tune files attached

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EFI Live: BIG Auto VE problem - Tune files attached

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a preface to this thread, it might be good to know my modifications:
MS4 cam, 1 7/8" long tubes through a 3" true dual exhaust, dual 3.5" intake, NO MAF. Its in a 93 RX-7.

I have verified the logged AFR perfectly matches the wideband softwares AFR, so no issues there.

Ok, after much frusturation with trying to get my car drivable in open loop speed density, I decided to put the completely stock tune in the car. The only thing I did was remove the anti-theft.

Here is what the car was doing setup for AutoVE. Idling at ~20:1 AFR, not accepting any throttle w/o completely bogging out and dying instantly. I had the stock VE map, only slightly scaled to try and get the fuel in a normal range (which didn't work). I did some work to the idle RAFIG process, so I adjusted the fuel, and a few other things per the idle tuning thread.

Since it was idling at 20:1 AFR for no aparent reason, I added 30% to my VE table, to see if it would even have an effect on the AFR on my wideband. It brought the AFR to ~14.4:1. This was somewhat good, but the VE in the cell it was at during idle was 105%, clearly not reasonable or right.

Then I got frusturated and wanted to see what it would do with the completely stock tune minus the antitheft. It started up and ran great, took about 15 seconds to find idle. It reved great, and acted like you would expect. Not running perfect, but still really good.

So, that brings me to my question, what is so different between these two tune files that would make such a drastic differnce? I did a compare tune files, with the stock file, and the file I made setup for AutoVE. From what I saw, the only changes in there were the ones spelled out in the AutoVE tutorial, and some idle changes I made. Can you take a look at the two files and see if you can spot something that I might be overlooking.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, unless the tutorial has led me astray, but it seems to work fine for other people. I don't really know what to do at this point. I'm baffled.
Attached Files
File Type: tun
gto_stock_tune_minus_theft.tun (717.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: tun
SDAutoVE_0011.tun (718.3 KB, 152 views)
Old 10-11-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I SERIOUSLY doubt that you will be able to autotune idle with a cam that size. If the tune isn't spot-on to begin with, a downhill process begins. First, any misses will show lean on the wideband. Then, your correction will cause other cylinders to overfuel. Then, more misses, and more overcorrection occur. Eventually you are left with an engine full of fouled spark plugs and a completely wrong tune. Make small changes to your stock file until you get the idle right, then use autotune features for OTHER ares of the map. I don't use EFIlive, so there could be software-specific issues, but I doubt it. I have seen people incorrectly chase big-cam idle issues with 3 different types of aftermarket ECU's because overlap and missing gives false wideband readings.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Sorry, let me clarify. I wan't trying to auto VE tune the idle area. I was trying to get the car into open loop, speed density mode so I could auto VE tune the other places of the map, by driving. However something I did made it undrivable.

Some guys on EFI Live think they found the issue. In my modified tune, I changed the DTC processing of P0102. I turned the DTC P0102 to not reported since I don't have a MAF. The guys on the efiLive forum say that the PCM wont' go into speed density unless that code is reported. They said to change the P0102 processin to "Non emissions" and just turn the MIL light off for that code. That way the PCM will log the P0102 code, just not show a MIL for it.

I have no MAF, and since I turned off the P0102 from setting, its not entering SD, I think I'm in some sort of super weird backupmode based on expected airflow from the available sensor set (rpm, tps, etc). If what they say is right, I should be able to get it fixed right up in no time.

It kinda makes sense, since nothing in the tune is really that different between the two, but it runs COMPLETELY different. I wouldn't think turning off the feedback loops would have made that much difference, so I knew there was something else going on. Hopefully their suggestion fixes my issue. I'm going to try it out tomorrow and I'll report back with my findings.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Kevin Doe
Sorry, let me clarify. I wan't trying to auto VE tune the idle area. I was trying to get the car into open loop, speed density mode so I could auto VE tune the other places of the map, by driving. However something I did made it undrivable.

Some guys on EFI Live think they found the issue. In my modified tune, I changed the DTC processing of P0102. I turned the DTC P0102 to not reported since I don't have a MAF. The guys on the efiLive forum say that the PCM wont' go into speed density unless that code is reported. They said to change the P0102 processin to "Non emissions" and just turn the MIL light off for that code. That way the PCM will log the P0102 code, just not show a MIL for it.

I have no MAF, and since I turned off the P0102 from setting, its not entering SD, I think I'm in some sort of super weird backupmode based on expected airflow from the available sensor set (rpm, tps, etc). If what they say is right, I should be able to get it fixed right up in no time.

It kinda makes sense, since nothing in the tune is really that different between the two, but it runs COMPLETELY different. I wouldn't think turning off the feedback loops would have made that much difference, so I knew there was something else going on. Hopefully their suggestion fixes my issue. I'm going to try it out tomorrow and I'll report back with my findings.
They are right about the MAF, the PCM needs to see that MAF failure code to go into speed density

Also you said yoru idleing at 20:1? Thats free air, id really be checking the accuracy of teh wideband, do a free-air cal on it and check to make sure everything is functioning, i can only imagine if you tried to AutoVE with a wideband that is giving bad readins that could really screw things up.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

The wideband is functioning properly. I have an LM1 in addition to my LC-1, and verified the LC-1 with my known good LM-1. 20:1 is not free air, it will read ~20% 02 when in free air. If they are right about the code not setting speed density, then I'm not in speed density, and can't be in MAF either, since I dont' have one. Must be a miracle that it even runs.

Thanks for confirming the MAF code needs to be set to go into speed density. I appeciate that.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

yup. you have to have P0101, P0102, or P0103 to get into SD mode.

Quick Reply: EFI Live: BIG Auto VE problem - Tune files attached