PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice....dyno-tune or HP Tuners since they are same price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice....dyno-tune or HP Tuners since they are same price?

Would it make more sense for me to purchase a HP Tuners basic set-up where I will be able to learn and tune on my own or for the same price have it professionally dyno-tuned?

I know the HP Tuner has a steep learning curve, but I like the fact that I would be able to view what is going on with my engine at any given time, where as the dyno-tune shop is an hour away, have to make an appointment and if I change something I have to go back. The plus side is that they would get it spot on since they would have the car on the chasis dyno.

Would I need to purchase anything else in order to tune the car myself? I realize I have no real way of determining the a/f ratio unless I was to purchase a gauge set-up.

I just want to spend my money once and want to make the right decision.

Which one would you guys recommend?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hptuners its not as hard as people think its just take some reading and patience and not afraid to try new things
Old 10-22-2007, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will still have to pay for dyno time. And it will take you months to get the tune right if you have not done it before.... BUT you will love every minute of it, so go for it!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need a wideband O2 sensor, such as the LM-1 or LC-1, and a laptop. A used one works fine if you can pick one up for cheap.
I also recommend a small power inverter (cheap) so your laptop battery does not die while you are out tuning and testing.
It takes a whle to learn to tune, but you will then be able to tweak whenever you want, and not be at the mercy of the tuner.
You could also get the equipment, buy a mail-order tune to start, and then begin learning to tweak it yourself.