PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PYROMETER TEMPS How much is too high?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PYROMETER TEMPS How much is too high?

PYROMETER TEMPS How much is too high?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test drove new 408 turbo today, I had several gauges installed and one being a pyrometer.
Motor is still in tuning stages. I do not know what pyro temps are considered normal but while cruising under no load around 2400 – 2800 rpms, I was seeing approx. 1400 to 1475 degree temps. Sensor was mounted approx. 2 inches from head on No. 7 header.

Applying throttle into boost would decrease temps somewhat but when you return to a no load cruise, temps would immediately rise. Is this normal ? Outside temps today were around 50*

Any knowledgably info would be appreciated.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

A pyrometer is of little use in a gasoline motor. There is a HUGE difference between running Xtemp at cruise and Xtemp at WOT. Think of the difference between a match and a large bonfire. Even at the same temp, one is going to heat up its surroundings a lot more than the other. Diesels need pyrometers because their AF ratio constantly varies, as they have no TB. Gas motors are much better served with a wideband AF gauge.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I *think* 1500 - 1550 is where you need to start worrying... would be nice if someone who knows fer sher would discuss.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Egt's are always important.They are just as important on a gas motor as a diesel.They tell you more that air fuel ratio but also things like timing.Those egt's are high for part throttle.I would say the timing is too retarded at cruise.try adding some timing and see what happens.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
Egt's are always important.They are just as important on a gas motor as a diesel.They tell you more that air fuel ratio but also things like timing.Those egt's are high for part throttle.I would say the timing is too retarded at cruise.try adding some timing and see what happens.
While your post IS correct, my point is that a pyrometer is of limited value for a gas engine. If your part throttle timing is too low, your BSFC wil be high, and your plugs will not look right. If your AF is lean, you will have reduced power and/or detonation. Pretty much anything a pyrometer can tell you will be obvious in other ways on a gasoline engine. OTOH, a pyrometer is essential on a diesel.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

They sure are important on gas turbines
Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes, but gas turbines operate in a similar manner to diesels with regard to AF ratio. They are controlled by fuel input as opposed to air input.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gametech
Yes, but gas turbines operate in a similar manner to diesels with regard to AF ratio. They are controlled by fuel input as opposed to air input.
Yep
Old 12-30-2007, 02:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssheets
They sure are important on gas turbines
Chrysler turbine car...

Quick Reply: PYROMETER TEMPS How much is too high?