Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a ported MAF hurt my tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can a ported MAF hurt my tune?

I know on a stock tune the computer will adapt, or tune itself to most mods but my car has been tuned already (dyno tuned) is it still able to tune itself? I ask because I just ported my MAF ends and it is quite a bit slower some how.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:23 AM
Teching In

maybe your car is just gay... ever thought of that?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

your car doesn't "tune itself" there is a variance of it reading the AFR and adjusting WITH FUEL TRIMS, which can screw up your WOT... if they are negative you may go lean...if they are positive you may go rich into WOT...

if you simply just ported the MAF ends, I do not see how porting would throw you off at all. Now if you de-screened the MAF i would see your car running leaner than normal and you would want to TUNE that in

but just porting...naw, no way not JUST on the MAF
Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa

if you simply just ported the MAF ends, I do not see how porting would throw you off at all. Now if you de-screened the MAF i would see your car running leaner than normal and you would want to TUNE that in
You might want to rethink that.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

but just porting...naw, no way not JUST on the MAF
Sorry, but this couldn't be more wrong.

You have to look at how a MAF works in the first place to understand what's going on here. The MAF doesn't measure every single air molecule entering the engine, only a few. But it ASSUMES that for every one molecule of air hitting the wire element (being measured by heat transfer), there are a fixed number of other molecules passing through the open space of the MAF. If you port the MAF sensor housing to open up more space for these additional molecules to flow through, the relationship between measured air and actual air changes. Even worse, the change is not completely linear across all operating conditions. The effect can be different at low vs high airflow rates, depending on how you "ported" the housings. Sure, the PCM will try to "learn" via fuel trims, but that will only get it so far. The PCM does not have the ability to learn in the top end of WOT flow, so if the difference there is not the same as where it was actually doing correction, you have yet another source of error.

Bottom line: If you modifiy the MAF sensor in any way, the tune must be changed to reflect the new g/sec - Hz relationship. This usually means doing some steady state testing with a wideband and taking careful measurements. It's not difficult to fix, but still necessary if you want to hit the desired AFR at all conditions.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if the MAF airflow was significantly changed, the MAF table needs to be recalibrated. it will not self correct.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said ...my question is... is there an average number to raise or lower the table by to get it close without a wideband? i unfortunately descreened and totally ported out my stocker when i first got my hands on my motor few years ago,and am very curious on what i can do to my tables to compensate for this. and right now i dont have access to a wideband.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A ported maf is basically junk. Even if you try to retune for it, the maf will never be as accurate and repeatable as stock.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Note worth your time, move on to bigger and better things....
Old 05-29-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
A ported maf is basically junk. Even if you try to retune for it, the maf will never be as accurate and repeatable as stock.

+1....get another MAF. The salvage yard will have one for $25 or so.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
+1....get another MAF. The salvage yard will have one for $25 or so.
+1, Myself and most tuners will not even attempt to tune a car with a ported MAF, Get a stocker and yes your fueling will be way off........
Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by INTMD8
+++ You could make it work, but, it just wouldn't be the same.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you think a ported MAF cant be tuned you must never have tried it. I have a ported 85 MAF. With a wide band a HP tunes it is easy to tune. Works great. If you have a wideand and tuning software it is a great mod. If not dont to it. Only good post in this mess is trubolx.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by billybob1142
maybe your car is just gay... ever thought of that?

Might as well get a 85 mm maf
Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You might want to rethink that.
it all depends on how far you decide to go with porting

i prefer to polish the MAFs ... perdy
Old 05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

it can be tuned out I have a 104MM LS7 MAF just need to get a table for the size pipe the maf is in.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
FormerVendor

it all depends on how far you decide to go with porting

i prefer to polish the MAFs ... perdy
same thing applies though.... hell, I have tuned a MAF with the owner watching and merely rotated it 90 deg in it's couplers and thrown the calibration off just to drive that point home to a customer that kept continually changing his intake piping.

Here's the deal, you put in what you want to run, you tune it, and you LEAVE IT ALONE until you are ready to retune the setup.

I don't even understand the rabid fanatacism that people have with MAF porting/swapping/other modifying... It's always some guy with bolt ons claiming it's an airflow restriction too.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Sabre002
it can be tuned out I have a 104MM LS7 MAF just need to get a table for the size pipe the maf is in.
Yeah, don't hold your breath waiting for that one to work out. It will however calibrate just like any other MAF with your wideband.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I ported my maff and it made its a touch leaner like bairly at all, not enough to hurt anything! Im tuned in Sd now so i dont have to worry about it LOL My ported maff i would sale if anyone would wants it
Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
I ported my maff and it made its a touch leaner like bairly at all, not enough to hurt anything! Im tuned in Sd now so i dont have to worry about it LOL My ported maff i would sale if anyone would wants it
If you get your car tuned (or do the cal yourself) and then you change the AFR, what was the point of being tuned? I've *NEVER* seen a ported (butchered) MAF that only moved stuff "a touch leaner", it's always drastic, like 10-20% depending on the hack job.