PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

megasquirt vs. stock ecu?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default megasquirt vs. stock ecu?

Ok, before I get yelled at I tried searching but came up with a bunch of 4 year old posts that had good tech in them.
Given current versions what would be best to control a turbo'd 6.0 going into an older car? Basically should I go for a megasquirt setup or keep the stock GM ecu and tune that with available software?
I'm looking for best bang for the buck vs ease of use. I don't mind spending a little extra if it saves me a ton of headache later on. Either way I need to buy a harness and ecu as I'll most likely get an engine from the yard that doesn't come with any of that.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

how much power are you going to be making? how much do you plan to make? what all do you plan to do?

if you just slap on a turbo run 10psi and nitrous and whatever, you will be FINE with the stock PCM/ECU/ whatever you want to call it.... you can do more than that if ya like. the pcm can handle quite a bit.

EFI LIVE
OR
HPTuners

check them out
Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
FormerVendor

The stock controller can support a lot of power. There are plenty of guys on this board and elsewhere making all sorts of power with a stock controller. It also depends on what you mean by "saves me a ton of a headache later on." Remember that the stock controller was designed for purposes other than to simply 'go fast' or produce the most power. It's not that you can get around this and tune a high HP setup, but there is a learning curve to either EFILive or HPT as well as learning curve of understanding the complexity of GM's OS. The learning curve of an aftermarket ECU is not nearly as steep (my opinion).

Megasquirt has good suppport and is a very interesting project/product. There others that cost more, but might be a good option.

You can always call us for a complete GM kit.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by John-SDPC
The learning curve of an aftermarket ECU is not nearly as steep (my opinion).

Megasquirt has good suppport and is a very interesting project/product. There others that cost more, but might be a good option.

You can always call us for a complete GM kit.
I don't have much experience using Megasquirt or BS3 but I noticed that there are several tables that absolutely must be adjusted on BS3 for it to idle correctly and run correctly, I don't remember what the tables were. HPTuners and EFI LIVE are just plug and go. to me learning computer "stuff" is minor, I navigated through efi live just fine and found things along with grabbing hptuners and going through it also. for getting it and going and having the car running on the factory ecu/pcm then editing fuel spark and whatever else, you cannot beat EFI LIVE, HPTuners.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Basically I'm looking to make 500 or so rwhp on pump and up the boost with meth injection on occasion and shoot for 700 rwhp using a twin turbo setup on a 6 liter LS1.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: megasquirt vs. stock ecu?