Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What A Chore

Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What A Chore

I ordered an SLP Lid and Bellows from LMPerformance.com as I saved $32 that way instead of going straight thru SLP.

Ordered them Wednesday the 26th, and arrived Saturday the 29th, so that alone was a nice suprise!

It was a major chore with the MAF, taking it out of the factory plastic baffeling (thats what I'd call it lol) and putting it into the the SLP Lid. As usual, just like my formula, doesn't fit perfect, but fits better than the old slp lid, this one is a newer style. Damn inner tabs are creasing again, thinking about pulling it off again and trying one more time to make it fit better, but afraid to crack the lid where those tabs always fold. And don't feel like going with a lid again if I break it (I kept all the factory stuff). So thats on atm, and definitely seems a lil more responsive.

The biggest chore, was the battery! Bought a new battery yesterday, got it in, went to start it, it barely turned over. I let the car idle for 10mins so it could relearn whatever it had to (the other battery was removed before putting on lid/bellows). Left the house later that night, barely turned over... I was like wtf! So when I got back home and pulled into the driveway, turned the car off, and turned it back on, barely again... So this morning before going to the airport for work, took my Bluepoint digital multi-meter and tested the battery cold, 10volts... nice! Started the car, checked again with running 14.75V, I checked the output of the alternator too, everything was good. Shut it off, waited 15mins, checked batterly 10.3V. Drove to autozone to get a replacement, what a damn chore... They had one guy working the morning shift, and had to of been 15 people in line. So after much waiting, finally got to talk to the guy, who blew me off rolling his eyes as I explained I had already tested the charging system, and I deemed it to be the brand new battery I just put in yest. So I had to wait for him to come out to the car and test it. Finally tells me yep its bad, then I had to wait again to swap it, and then had to go out and take that bad one out and put new on back in. All while I'm trying to get to the airport. LOL

Anyways, sorry to ramble! Think I'll take off the airbox deck to the bellows, and assemble it all again, and then try to put it back on as one complete set to see if I can avoid those tabs bending, and ensuring the clamps that hold the lid on stay closed.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurdsOfMayhem
I ordered an SLP Lid and Bellows from LMPerformance.com as I saved $32 that way instead of going straight thru SLP.

Ordered them Wednesday the 26th, and arrived Saturday the 29th, so that alone was a nice suprise!

It was a major chore with the MAF, taking it out of the factory plastic baffeling (thats what I'd call it lol) and putting it into the the SLP Lid. As usual, just like my formula, doesn't fit perfect, but fits better than the old slp lid, this one is a newer style. Damn inner tabs are creasing again, thinking about pulling it off again and trying one more time to make it fit better, but afraid to crack the lid where those tabs always fold. And don't feel like going with a lid again if I break it (I kept all the factory stuff). So thats on atm, and definitely seems a lil more responsive.

The biggest chore, was the battery! Bought a new battery yesterday, got it in, went to start it, it barely turned over. I let the car idle for 10mins so it could relearn whatever it had to (the other battery was removed before putting on lid/bellows). Left the house later that night, barely turned over... I was like wtf! So when I got back home and pulled into the driveway, turned the car off, and turned it back on, barely again... So this morning before going to the airport for work, took my Bluepoint digital multi-meter and tested the battery cold, 10volts... nice! Started the car, checked again with running 14.75V, I checked the output of the alternator too, everything was good. Shut it off, waited 15mins, checked batterly 10.3V. Drove to autozone to get a replacement, what a damn chore... They had one guy working the morning shift, and had to of been 15 people in line. So after much waiting, finally got to talk to the guy, who blew me off rolling his eyes as I explained I had already tested the charging system, and I deemed it to be the brand new battery I just put in yest. So I had to wait for him to come out to the car and test it. Finally tells me yep its bad, then I had to wait again to swap it, and then had to go out and take that bad one out and put new on back in. All while I'm trying to get to the airport. LOL

Anyways, sorry to ramble! Think I'll take off the airbox deck to the bellows, and assemble it all again, and then try to put it back on as one complete set to see if I can avoid those tabs bending, and ensuring the clamps that hold the lid on stay closed.
Put the stock below back it, it gives the lid a little more freedom to move without getting pushed out of wack. The SLP below doesn't offer any real HP gains it is just more of for looks mod....
Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
Put the stock below back it, it gives the lid a little more freedom to move without getting pushed out of wack. The SLP below doesn't offer any real HP gains it is just more of for looks mod....
How much crack have you had today???
Old 12-01-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

The slp bellows is too stiff and sometimes too long. you may need to trim it to get the fit right. The old design slp bellows was flexible where the new one is not and can cause damage to your airlid (like the plastic tabs bending and the lid cracking)
Old 12-02-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I will probably trim it. What is the best way to measure? Or just take off like an 1/8th in. or something?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
The below offers no HP gains.. And it is like others have said too stiff and sometimes too long which results in the lid being pushing out of alignment..
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Regular

I want the bellows just to finish off the engine bay. However, I do not want the 2nd style SLP that is too long and too stiff. I want one like their original that was thin and flexible with a hump to let the whole setup flex under load.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

I have the slp smooth bellows and that they are currently selling and it does give me a lot of trouble fitting when I have to take it apart. I've tried shaving off a little here and there. Right now I've got it fit perfect but I know the next time I have to take it apart it's going to suck. I wish I had a different brand or something that was more flexible. My came with the car so it's no big deal. I would have been pretty unhappy if I had paid for it though.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm gonna try timming it, if unsuccesful, guess I'll just put the factory one back on... I'm not worried about it.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
The question is what are you smoking? The stock accordian bellow is perfect. All the smooth bellow does is make your motor look better. Again does nothing for performance.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

I have had my smooth bellow and lid set up on my WS6 for almost a year and haven't had any trouble with it at all. My lid still looks as good as the day I put it on.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Banned - Scammer

i bought slp smooth bellow and it was too long fucked up the fitment of my lid and i used the stock bellow. **** it what am i gonna lose 1/2 a hp lol. oh and use a hair dryer to heat up your lid where the maf goes in. i did that and it fit in real nice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What A Chore