Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

who has heard of the "performance package" non ws6

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has heard of the "performance package" non ws6

well, I got one. supposedly came with the perform transmision button that raises line pressure and shift point, and boosts torque on kickdowns, a freer flowing intake and exhaust, and urethane bushings.

so.......I got the following from wikipedia.....dont know if it is accurate.

1995 models were the same as those of previous years, but traction control (ASR: Acceleration Slip Regulation) was now available. The steering wheel was also changed. It was borrowed from the Grand Prix.A performance package was also offered. The package offered Polyurethane Bushings, suspension upgrades,as well as a freer intake/exhaust similar to that on the Chevrolet Corvette, supplying 310 hp to very few of the Firebird models; those that did receive this set-up were able to accelerate from 0-62 mph in 4.9 seconds and cover a quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds at 110 mph (180 km/h). The 'Transmission Perform' button, which was available in the 310 hp Trans Ams, gave a 25% increase in torque with every kickdown, and resulted in a maximum of 350 ft·lbf (470 N·m) of torque. Although the redline displayed on the tachometer was 5000 rpm, the engines were capable of revving to 7000 rpm.The Firebirds which had the package were among the fastest cars at the time.

yeah....well I know one thing. my car does have some kinda power. before I put my headers on, I went to do a top speed run. it actually chirped the tires going into 3rd........(I have a 2.73 axle!!!!!) and 275 wide eagle f1's with 24 psi.

yeah, the car pulls pretty hard, and all its got now is LPP headers, and a magnaflow catback. its goin on the dyno this coming friday to see the power it makes.

see if the rated "310 hp" is true......I am hopin for maybe 270whp.....realisticlally
Old 10-26-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1 > LS1
well, I got one. supposedly came with the perform transmision button that raises line pressure and shift point, and boosts torque on kickdowns, a freer flowing intake and exhaust, and urethane bushings.

so.......I got the following from wikipedia.....dont know if it is accurate.

1995 models were the same as those of previous years, but traction control (ASR: Acceleration Slip Regulation) was now available. The steering wheel was also changed. It was borrowed from the Grand Prix.A performance package was also offered. The package offered Polyurethane Bushings, suspension upgrades,as well as a freer intake/exhaust similar to that on the Chevrolet Corvette, supplying 310 hp to very few of the Firebird models; those that did receive this set-up were able to accelerate from 0-62 mph in 4.9 seconds and cover a quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds at 110 mph (180 km/h). The 'Transmission Perform' button, which was available in the 310 hp Trans Ams, gave a 25% increase in torque with every kickdown, and resulted in a maximum of 350 ft·lbf (470 N·m) of torque. Although the redline displayed on the tachometer was 5000 rpm, the engines were capable of revving to 7000 rpm.The Firebirds which had the package were among the fastest cars at the time.

yeah....well I know one thing. my car does have some kinda power. before I put my headers on, I went to do a top speed run. it actually chirped the tires going into 3rd........(I have a 2.73 axle!!!!!) and 275 wide eagle f1's with 24 psi.

yeah, the car pulls pretty hard, and all its got now is LPP headers, and a magnaflow catback. its goin on the dyno this coming friday to see the power it makes.

see if the rated "310 hp" is true......I am hopin for maybe 270whp.....realisticlally
I used to own a 1995 T/a. FIrst off wikipedia is a bunch of BS anyone can post anything they want. Second The performance shift option didn't change the intake nor the redline or the rating of the car.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

yeah, the air box didnt look fancy to me.....

also, it does raise my shift points up if I select the button, and it doesn defiently shift harder too. it'll bark the tires at half throttle lol....kinda fun sometimes
Old 10-26-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no such thing because the Transmission Perform button, which my car has, was only available on 1994-1995 Formulas and T/A's (I'm pretty sure it was standard issue as well) and the WS6 package wasn't available until 1996. The only car i can think of that "might" have come factory with the ram air hood and the Trans Perform button would have been a 1995 Comp T/A or a Firehawk with an automatic. i'm guessing the 310hp they are referring to would be one of those 2 cars, probably the firehawk

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Edition_95lot1.htm

since there is a 300hp firehawk and the optional exhaust makes it 315hp, i'm guessing the 'hawk is what wiki was referring to. i think there's a youtube video from motorweek on that car

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 10-26-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

heres a interior pic of my car

the previous owner spilled a coke or somthin on my interior, and left a sticky brown residue in some areas. I have etched it out, and it cleaned up good as new.

anyways.......dyno results friday night, or probly saturday.......we'll see whats the real deal.

btw, I just have the ws6 wheels. I have the flat hood and low rise spoiler on my trans am
Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

I had the same trans perform button on my 95 T/A....dont think its part of any "special package"
Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the the six shooter cars its called the 2nd gear start... never heard of a "package" but anthings possible.. could be dealer only thing
Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 > LS1
heres a interior pic of my car

Notice that the shifter Bezel only says P/R/N/D/3/2
which is a tell tale sign the car was equipped with 2.73's
My old `94 Formula was the same way
If it was a 3.23 geared car it would have a first gear detent.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:00 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Good catch!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

yeah sounds to me like it's a normal trans am with the perform button. wikipedia sounds like it's describing a firehawk.

i test drove a 95 firehawk with the tranny perform button on and some bald a$$ tires. funnnn test drive hahah.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

yup, my car has that exact same TP button, but also has the 1 at the bottom because i have the GU5 performance 3:23 axle option

you can't really see it in this pic because of the angle of it (was geared more twords the stereo than the console) but i have the TP button (seen) and the 1 on the gear shifter (not seen) as well as the 155mph speedo.

LT1 > LS1, I'm assuming your speedo also only goes to 110? From what you're saying, your T/A is kind of a medium level one. it has leather but not the $395 raised spoiler (T43) or the GU5 axle code. Your car did not come with the WS6 wheels from the factory. no 1995 T/A's other than the Comp T/A's had 17" wheels. My car is pretty much fully loaded other than not having a CD player (it does however have the 10 speaker premium sound package) and not having Traction Control and i had 16" wheels on mine. FWIW in 94 They had a Trans Am GT (which was never labelled as such) with the uplevel spoiler and a lot of the higher end options like the premium 10 speaker sound system and probably leather. But for 1995 they dropped the "GT" trim level and just made all the GT options as separate options or in an unnamed package on the regular T/A.

speaking of that, were there cars shipped w/ the performance tires but not the performance axle, giving them a 155mph speedo and no first gear selection?

I have seen a rare 95 T/A that had almost every option EXCEPT the raised spoiler, but what was weird was that it had not 1 but 2 buttons on the center console, one for TC and one for the TP button. usually most 95 T/As only had the TP button.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 10-27-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

our 95 t/a has the 2 two button selection... had 273 gears from factory and no first gear selection. easiest mod ever is to remove the console lid and you'll see when you pull the shifter back where it stops. there's a little tab in place if you just cut that tab you have full use of first gear select
Old 10-27-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
our 95 t/a has the 2 two button selection... had 273 gears from factory and no first gear selection. easiest mod ever is to remove the console lid and you'll see when you pull the shifter back where it stops. there's a little tab in place if you just cut that tab you have full use of first gear select
thats interesting that someone would order Traction Control w/o the GU5 performance axle.

what does your speedometer go up to?

FWIW i heard that the first gear selection in the 2:73 cars was disallowed by the EPA due to some sort of noise restriction that made the car too loud at higher rpm's in first gear
Old 10-28-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

I had a Girlfreind a couple years ago now she had a 95 RS camaro that had this in it i was always wondering what if any performance gains there was from it
Old 10-28-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats the big deal with the 1st gear selection? The car will shift better if you just put it in D and go. Its not meant to be shifted by you, unless you put a shift kit in it...
Old 10-28-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A 2.73 geared car can have a 155 speedo. The Speedometer is determined by the Tires, so if you had Z rated rubber the car had a 155 speedo.
My old `94 Formula was a Hardtop A4 2.73's GSC tires with a 155 speedo.

^^^^
You can manually downshift the car from a roll under WOT faster then the computer can and still rely on the ECM for the upshifts. I used to do it in the car above and it would be wicked fast from a 40 roll.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:28 AM
Launching!

ive never cut any tab and have been able to pull it into 1st everytime.....

i had 2.73s and the 110 speedo......
Old 10-29-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you're talking about is the 1LE package, but the only engine 'performance' piece was the intake elbow. And it didn't add any power, it just removed that stupid donkey dong.

The performance shift option was just a Pontiac marketing ploy. The Z28s all came with that firmer shift setting pre-programmed in. All that button did on Firebirds was allow for a smoother shift for maybe a "softer ride down the road" heh
Old 10-29-2008, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

actually, I can get my car into first.....guess a previous owner did the mod. yes its got new ws6 wheels. I didnt get the factory 16's with the car.

it does have a 2.73, and the speedo goes to 155.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:02 PM

I got the car to....310 hp, performance button and 2.73 rear axle and can top 250km/h.
The claims are true. In 1995 my dad bought 2 both having the 2.73 rear but one had asr.
both the cars have 50k on them now. He gave me a black one with the package and dad has a red one with asr. We had a little father son drag race my car was significantly faster i beat him. i'm talking 0-250. all the way he was getting further and further away.
Both stock. At the time when these cars were bought it was a dealer deal. We couldnt find any car without Ws6 that had <300hp.
who ever has the car should keep it!!>

Quick Reply: who has heard of the "performance package" non ws6