Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Our new 2nd Gen PROJECT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Our new 2nd Gen PROJECT!

A couple weeks ago I ran into an old high school buddy of mine at a local car show...he had told me a while back that his dad had gotten a 74 Trans Am to restore, so I asked him about it. He told me he had started on it and lost intrest and the car had been setting in the shop for years in pieces. I asked him if he wanted to sell it...and he said naw it ain't worth nothing...if you want it you can just have it. So I told him I DID and to call me. Well he called Sunday and asked if I still wanted to look at the car. He had cranked it Sat and it still ran fine...I could come look at it and make an offer on it (what happened to FREE?) But anyway I did and damn if it wasnt in much better shape that I would have ever thought (keep in mind its in pieces from an attempt at starting a resto.) All the pieces were and are there(the spoilers, the nose, the shaker...all of it)...there is very very very little rust on the body (the floor boards are shot.) Its an 455 / Auto car. SO anyway I said how much do you think its worth...he said at least $200. My jaw dropped and I said what about $150? So we loaded it up!

Whats next for it??? I am not sure where we want to start. I sold my 68 Firebird Pro-touring project car...so I would like to go that route with this one running gear wise (LS3/A4) but do a near resto appearing body clone of a 73 SD since that is Cecilia's dream car. I plan to for us to build it the way she wants it...but I can assure it will be done right. I am glad its a long weekend...maybe we will have it finished by Monday!

Look at it for what it can be not for what it is!

The best part is now i can claimed to have owned every Gen of Firebird...and still have a 2nd, 3rd and 4th!

And a couple bonus pics since those are so gloomy!

Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! I'm excited to see how this one comes along!

PS I didn't know you have a 3rd gen?!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Wow! I'm excited to see how this one comes along!

PS I didn't know you have a 3rd gen?!

There is a bunch of work there, but its something we will enjoy doing together...and there is no rush on.

I have a 87 Formula I had for years. I hope to carry it to the body shop and leave it for paint next week. Its a strong running car still but I have a very nice (and of course pretty!) 383 I built to go in it on a engine stand in the shop. These pics were before I did a FULL suspension on it (eibachs and AGXs with all BMR componets) The interior is all new with seats out of a 2000 Firebird. So its a fairly nice car.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck....you have a lot of work ahead of you!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Second Gen T/A for 7 yrs and loved it, they truely are great cars
BTW heres a little peice of inspiration.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co..._am/index.html
Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that's just what i need. I'll double your money and give ya 300 for it...HAHA. Good luck with it and have fun. I'll be looking forward to seeing updates on it on down the road
Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sweet, ..., If yer goin' '73 455-SD style, it deserves a 'Brewster Green' color, ...,

That & the '76 SE/50th are a couple of my all-time favorites.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know a 74 455 D port TA is rather rare, Im not saying you should do a chalk mark and date coded hose clamp resto, but if its the original 455 in it you should keep them together. I am an LS1 fan but there is something special about 455 birds. If you have your heart set on doing an LSx swap and its # matching, I would be willing to trade one of my 2nd gen projects for it. I have 9 of them.

Quick Reply: Our new 2nd Gen PROJECT!