Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

General questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General questions

Im new to the fuel injected f-bodies im old school 78 Z/28 but looking to get a new T/A. Just some quick general questions for the masses. I read that the 98 models had a different/worse rear end than the 99-02 models is that true? what are the most common components to go out first on these 98-02 f bodies? when i go look for one what should i pay particular close attention to? are these cars nice on parts if your nice to them? and how reliable are these cars can i expect certain components to fail at a given mileage? and what is a decent mileage car considered these days. thanks in advance for the help
Old 10-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hum, I haven't heard about the 98's having worse rearends, they all pretty much suck. These cars tend to be really good all around. So I couldn't tell you what would go first, could be anything, maybe the clutch if its a manual and depending on how you drive. If you start making good power, the rearend for sure would go clunk. Pay attention to detail, like the back of the front fender where it meets the front of the door, make sure they haven't jacked up the car right there, it will make a noticeable gap but thats an easy fix with a hammer. If you take care of these cars, they will take care of you. I bought my 2000 with 62,xxx on it for $11,500. Others have in the 1xx,xxx miles. But there are good deals out there, just take your time and look
Old 10-04-2009, 03:57 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...questions.html
Old 10-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Headlight motors and gears. Rear ends are like a glass jaw, a stock LS1 can break them. Things break when they break, mileage doesnt matter as much as how it was used.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SBnBOTL
Im new to the fuel injected f-bodies im old school 78 Z/28 but looking to get a new T/A. Just some quick general questions for the masses. I read that the 98 models had a different/worse rear end than the 99-02 models is that true? what are the most common components to go out first on these 98-02 f bodies? when i go look for one what should i pay particular close attention to? are these cars nice on parts if your nice to them? and how reliable are these cars can i expect certain components to fail at a given mileage? and what is a decent mileage car considered these days. thanks in advance for the help
You are probably thinking the difference between the Auburn (-'98 and Torsen ('99-'02) diffs: https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740885-post7.html

Which is "better" is probably debateable. They are both burdened w/ the small 7.5" ring and pinion / housing which is the weakest link.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Window motors and stock radio volume control as well as stock speakers seem to be some minor weak areas.
I have a 98 ws6 vert and the rear pinon leaks a tiny bit when car is pushed some and I have read that is normal. It is a great car over all IMO.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 AM
Teching In

The 10-bolt 7.5" rear end will be your worst enemy. I've heard that they can break on you with a STOCK ls1 depending on how it was driven. On the other hand, I've heard of stock rear ends lasting over 200k with no problems. So it will all depend on what you use the car for. If you use it for everyday driving under mild loads and conditions then you should be ok with that stock rear end, but if you plan on taking it to the track regularly, I would look into upgrading to the GM 12-bolt or Ford 9" rear ends.

Other weaknesses include passenger window motor, headlight motor, and other miscellanous electrical components within the interior. Nothing major though. Overall, it's a great car and it's very enjoyable.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard alot of complaints about the 99's wiring systems. Sorry not much detail, stuff like the heads light wiring needing replaced, and stuff like that.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the help guys, pretty much it looks like the only thing to worry about would be the rear. which is any car that has power/mods. by far nothing that will have me changing my mind. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: General questions