Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1983 trans am question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 trans am question

i got a 1983 trans am 305ci. v8. the car has 120,xxx miles (dad is original owner)and still runs strong. car is driven daily to school and work(15miles roundtrip) and all that's really done to the car is an aftermarket air cleaner, no smog, no a/c, and exhaust. the exhaust is most likely the source of my problem but i wanted to ask why the car is running the way it is.

a few weeks back i cut off the stock cat-back and also cut off the stock cat, and just put a magnaflow muffler where the cat used to be a put a 45 degree dump after the muffler about where the front passenger seat is.

after this i notice that the car pauses a good 2 seconds before opening the rear barrels of the 4 barrel carberator, and when it does open up it doesn't seem to run as strong. i can tell the car has a lot more power than it previously just driving around normally but not as powerful with all 4 open? i think the car might be getting too much gas cause it seems to run rich? how can i fix this with keeping the exhaust the same, the car has an awesome rumble and the sound of its idle is sick.

not sure if that was clearly stated, but just wanted to know your thoughts on why it is doing this.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lack of backpressure? did you accidentally hit anything or disconnect something?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats probably it, one of these days i'm gonna route the exhaust further back on the car to see if it helps solve the studder/pause.

i haven't hit anything, never been in a wreck so it's probably not that.

i did take out the a/c out a while back but reconnected all the proper connections.

would adding a loudmouth resonator and running the exhaust back about 3 ft. help with back pressure? i assume it would but not sure

Quick Reply: 1983 trans am question