Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together
Old 05-10-2016, 02:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Question regarding driver side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding driver side mirror

Some idiot decided it would be a good idea to almost sit on my driver side mirror and snapped most of the bracket that holds it in place so it hangs down and bounces in the wind now when driven. Does anyone know how if i can find a replacement mounting bracket since the mirror is still in working order its just what holds it to the vehicle isnt? Ive talked to GM and they say they only sell the mirror as a whole and they want like 400$... Its outrageous. Thanks, any ideas or help would be appreciated. Oh forgot to mention, this is in a 2001 ws6

Jeff
Old 04-08-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to take the mirror off and see exactly what you need, The Mirror body is held to the mounting braket by 3 screws, it may have just bent them or tore the Plastic part of the mounting holes on the mirror.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:33 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Get it off of Ebay or here in the classifieds; you'll get what you need for far less. Also, you gonna make this idiot pay for the repairs?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go to a junk yard and buy a mirror, any color. Take the bracket off and put it on your mirror. Be prepared for it to break again, mine has broken twice.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine did this too not too long ago. I swear they put these cars together with chewing gum.

I got on the highway after leaving work, and the mirror is shaking all over the place. I was like what the heck?, then noticed it was dangling, apparently the top bolt had broken. I ended up driving the rest of the way home (45 minutes) with my arm out the window holding the mirror in place, since I was afraid the wind would rip it the rest of the way off. I haven't fixed it yet, it's extremely ghetto rigged with clear packing tape.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Teching In

I have the exact same problem. I tried using Gorrilla glue didnt work. Then JB weld and didnt work also. Both held for about a week then broke. I have been looking for months and still havent found a replacement. If anyone know where you can get one that would be awesome.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I made a bracket for mine out of a worm gear clamp. I cut off a piece of the clamp, drilled holes through it and the pieces of the mirror bracket, and then screwed the piece of clamp to the pieces of the mirror bracket. Worked perfectly.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

On the Formula I used to own I had a goose hit my driver's side mirror on the interstate at 70+ mph. After recovering from the initial shock I saw that my mirror was doing like yours and the mirror mechanism was still working OK. I had no clue what to fix so I ran it by the GM body shop at the dealership. After cussing and struggling, the body man fixed it perfectly. $50 and done. It might be worth a shot if you can't fix this yourself.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a complete driver sides mirror..40 bucks if you want it. Unpainted

Quick Reply: Question regarding driver side mirror