Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice

First, does someone know the drag co-efficiencies for older Camaros/FB/TA's (early 1970's - early-1980's)

(someone please tell me - I need to know...)

Anyway, here's why I write: My beloved, expensive 4-year project car (71 Camaro) was feloniously stolen & illegally sold by the San Diego Police 19 years ago (Yes, an american Police Dept. actually committed Felony Grand Theft Auto and then covered it up {overt & harrowing police Crimes are not uncommon in San Diego, Ca.) and I'm confident they may finally settle with me - so I finally hope go out and buy something else and start a new project car. But this is what I'm trying to achieve: {apart from knowing drag co-eff's with various older/newer GM cars...}...

I need recommendations of some fairly inexpensive used older/newer car(s) with good potential; but in attempts to eventually closely match the Autobahn's Ferarris, Porsches, & Lambos, etc. here in Europe where I live now. I was quite successful at this very same contest in Southern California 19 years ago with my 71 'super' Camaro - I was liked, & disliked, by the super-rich 'oil-familys' youngsters who could not out-drive me nor catch me in my Camaro while they drove their super-expensive, impressive exotic Italian iron back then.

But now that 19 years has past I'm not sure if another 70's car has much overall potential against today's exotics. The last time I saw US muscle ripping the Autobahn [here] was when it was popular for a motor-head to have a Banks twin-turbo setup in a 1980's-1990 Trans Am or Firebird (because they supposedly had a favourable drag co-eff's., & Corvette-like handling potential especially with common, easy mods & VR/ZR tyre's). Now, the only American 'muscle'-car I see here is the Corvette - but they are somewhat common, expensive [here], and they only have two seats.

Okay GM brothers, & seasoned enthusiasts: What fairly inexpensive car(s) now can be a good start for me here if I intend to use a power-plant based on the common older iron chevy 400 sb (with mods of course)? Also, can someone please tell me if it is easily possible to use the cheaper-available older iron blocks with the (newer?) cars? And, what about the existing trannys & rear-ends in post-1990's GM cars if one is using 450-550 ft.lbs.tq? - or do I now need to shovel a bunch 'o money for a newer, much more expensive engine casting/block (& tranny?) to easily fit into post-'90's cars? Also, 19 years ago I was just getting ready to graduate from Carburetion to more practical fuel-injection exploration, but due to the trauma & unspeakably painful theft of my pride & joy (Camaro) long ago I never owned another muscle car since. Is EFI nowadays pretty easy & relatively inexpensive to run on my (envisioned) 400sb with low-profile mini-blower (or even without the blower)? Should I stick with a Carb if/when using any (cheaper) under-the-hood Blower?

Also, does anyone know of any similar GM enthusiasts like myself (or informal/formal GM {not-exclusively Corvette} Clubs/Organisations), but here in Europe that I could also meet & talk to?

Lastly for the moment, can an 'experienced' person please constructively critique my envisioned motor-build idea(?); In my next 'sports' car I'd like to easily duplicate/surpass the hp/tq. of a lightly modified 454, but using a 400sb. Yes, I know of the 400's siamese design, & it's 5.65 rod length/rod-angle, etc., however, I built many 400's in the past and I was much happier with them than their 383(350) or 377(350) counter-parts mainly for the increase in inches making up for everything else as long as I didn't rev over 6,000-6500. But(?), are there now (cheap(er) 400sb mods (5.70-6.00" rods, forged crank, etc.) that will make the 400 {or a mild-stroker 420(400)} very usable, reliable & streetable like a 350 or 454, but with the 400sb using (with, or without) a smaller B&M, Weiand, or other 4-71(144cu?) blower? Keep in mind I don't want to spend a ton 'o money just on my engine. In the past I had around 450lbs/tq. for well under $2,000.USD, and I could have simply added a mini-blower (after reducing my compression/r) for another $1,500.USD {used} back then. I think I want to try something similar now here - but I'm wide open for suggestions.

Oh: every gas-station [here] has 98 Octane, and I can also very easily buy newer-generation LL-100 AV 'blue' fuel for the same price (or cheaper). Here, high-compression or high-boost are practical. So; being that petrol quality and speed limits are not a problem here - what would you do with a somewhat limited budget over a 2-year period? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Launching!

did they seize it because you messed up or did a couple of cops dressed in black break in your car and take it?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:26 AM

No. (thank you for your interest - PLEASE READ...)

While I was away, it was stolen by two car thieves. My Fiance made a Police Report, the car was [secretly] recovered, then the Widely Known Notorious San Diego Police actually parted it out without my permission (from a [secret] wrecking yard), then sold the final remains to a bone-yard - and even kept all the money(My God!)

In other words - I was never notified of it's recovery, and when my Fiance accidentally learned of it's recovery she tried to recover it personally & complained to their 'Chief of Police's office - to NO AVAIL. When I returned I repeatedly complained and Legally tried to Press Criminal Charges per my Constitutional Right - TO NO AVAIL, but instead I either got the classic (& Highly Illegal intentional 'run-around'), or was quietly/subtly threatened by them (often).
-*Meanwhile I was still the Legal owner-holding it's title, still have the keys for it, still having to pay for license plates, taxes, & Insurance, etc.*-
(and still owed a lot of money for it's top-dollar parts, etc.) The San Diego County's regional ’Federal Bureau of Investigation’ office has been painfully over-inundated with Criminal complaints against SDPD for, not just years, but for 'Decades' I later learned.

I later learned that things like this are NOT an isolated incident -especially in San Diego (!) Such out-of-control Police Crimes were/are especially prevalent in SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA (!!!) Their ex-police chief had even thwarted 'countless' murder convictions and countless other highly punishable Crimes like 100's of separate Felony counts of Obstructions of Justice throughout the years. When San Diegans were tired of paying for wrongful death & other Law Suits ultimately responsible by [that] man [he] was finally 'out' of the Police force. Many Californians were greatly relieved by the thought he must have finally gone to Federal Prison -because he was widely known as perhaps the most notorious organised true-Criminal in California's history. But instead he somehow used his 'connections' to, evade numerous convictions/Prison, but to get a job... as a supervisor for the San Diego County 'Sheriff's Dept. some years later(Whaa... !!!!!) ...'the Fox guarding the Hen house~, or... 'War-Crimes Trials with 'Hitler' as the impartial Judge~

Yes, this is very much of what the late, great America had turned into. This is also why countless victims as I are taking their children & permanently leaving the U.S. by the thousands every week or month (!)

(On the LIGHTER side, however), I am finally confident that they will finally settle with me (with reasonable interest x 19 years!) instead of sending some of their own to Prison 19 years after the fact.

Thanks for reading. Regards-

Last edited by Carnaut; 09-27-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Seeking advice