Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help ASAP

So I was taking the throttle body off on my v6, and took the final bolt out on top, wiggled it loose a bit, and i saw something kind of fall out, at first thinking it was dust or dirt, i carried on, then saw a tiny bit more and smelled antifreeze...first though is dear god have mercy on me. So what gives, should their be antifreeze in there and don't pursue any further until draining it all, or carry on and maybe some just barely got in their and let it drain out? Or is it supposed to be in there and let the rest left in the TB (if any) drain? Again need this answered ASAP please guys, if you have any idea or even a wild guess, then post, i can get pics if needed
Thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 3.8 V6 in my Olds has antifreeze running though it. I suppose the F body tb's are the same. No worries.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you worried
about a little bit of antifreeze in the intake? Just wipe it out as best you can - no problem even if there's still some in there.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

I know it has antifreeze going through it, just don't want more draining than I need to..damage control basically,
Old 11-24-2010, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Gm had the antifreeze run through the throttle body to stop them from freezing shut in colder climates. Most people just do the TB bypass mod. IF you search you will find how to do it.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AF is supposed to be there. Just get a new gasket when you put it back together and consider the bypass. Be careful of the temp sensor underneath the TB, the previous owner of my V6 snapped it off when his serpentine broke and he didn't realize it. Helped me get the car a bit cheaper though... By the way, don't mess up the TB, they must be made of platinum they way they are priced!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

do you know of any tutorials for the bypass? and i didnt get a new gasket, i know they are one time use, and i hate seeing/smelling AF drip so..kinda put it back on quick
Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Why were you taking the TB off to begin with? Porting that thing isn't going to net you really any gains whatsoever, it'll just make throttle input more snappish.

The TB on the V6 flows something in the vicinity of 550 CFM. It is the intake profile and even worse, the cylinder heads that causes the biggest issue. Stock, bare heads at max lift see something like 160CFM on a flowbench. Add the upper and lower intake and that flow rate goes down even further to the low 100's.

An aerofoil or TB spacer is a waste of money, and I don't believe they are a direct fit on the F-body throttle body (different than the FWD L36s).

If you're trying to clean the top end on the insides, it'd be more of a benefit to remove everything and have it hot tanked and cleaned. Probably more time and money than you'd want to invest on a car you seem to be trying to sell.