Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New Engine Suggestion for 2002 Trans Am - Blew Mine Up Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

based on what you just told me, my suggestion is this:

order a shortblock from a vendor, and swap your current heads over to it, with a small cam..
on your shortblock, you dont need super forged pistons or rods, super high compression or anything really extra.. just a basic performance shortblock with a 24x crank.
if at all possible, you want a 4" or larger bore.. this will allow you to upgrade to the LS3/L92 heads.... however if you chose to do so or not at this time depends on the amount of cash you have.

since you have basic mechanical ability, you should easily be able to assemble the top end on your motor.. its probably the simplest v8 top end ever mass produced.. no real adjustments to worry about, its almost all bolt in and torque to spec.

you then drop your new engine in and you're almost done.

the only real catch here is tuning it... you dont have your location listed so i cant tell if you're anywhere near a tuner id know.. but you have two options..

1. buy EFI live and do it yourself.
2. pay a tuner.

option 1 means a bit of commitment in learning as its a steep curve, although its easy once you get the concepts. you will end up with a perfectly running car.

option 2 means more money.. and a bit of chance... the car SHOULD be up and running quicker.. but it will never be as refined as someone who spent the proper hours tuning it.

other then tuning it, it sounds like this is the way to go for you.
leaving the top end stock, putting in a reasonable cam, and upping the cubes will give you a reliable increase in power, not kill your MPG, and a overall badass daily driver.

you are then open later for heads, and you'll know how easy it is to do... but doing that means heads, and intake, and throttlebody issues... it all adds up and i am assuming you're out to do all this on the insurance money... the LS3 top end would be another project for another time

thats my practical advice on it.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:13 PM
msu
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
based on what you just told me, my suggestion is this:

order a shortblock from a vendor, and swap your current heads over to it, with a small cam..
on your shortblock, you dont need super forged pistons or rods, super high compression or anything really extra.. just a basic performance shortblock with a 24x crank.
if at all possible, you want a 4" or larger bore.. this will allow you to upgrade to the LS3/L92 heads.... however if you chose to do so or not at this time depends on the amount of cash you have.

since you have basic mechanical ability, you should easily be able to assemble the top end on your motor.. its probably the simplest v8 top end ever mass produced.. no real adjustments to worry about, its almost all bolt in and torque to spec.

you then drop your new engine in and you're almost done.

the only real catch here is tuning it... you dont have your location listed so i cant tell if you're anywhere near a tuner id know.. but you have two options..

1. buy EFI live and do it yourself.
2. pay a tuner.

option 1 means a bit of commitment in learning as its a steep curve, although its easy once you get the concepts. you will end up with a perfectly running car.

option 2 means more money.. and a bit of chance... the car SHOULD be up and running quicker.. but it will never be as refined as someone who spent the proper hours tuning it.

other then tuning it, it sounds like this is the way to go for you.
leaving the top end stock, putting in a reasonable cam, and upping the cubes will give you a reliable increase in power, not kill your MPG, and a overall badass daily driver.

you are then open later for heads, and you'll know how easy it is to do... but doing that means heads, and intake, and throttlebody issues... it all adds up and i am assuming you're out to do all this on the insurance money... the LS3 top end would be another project for another time

thats my practical advice on it.
I'm located near Port Huron, MI.

I do have some cash (money is really not much of an issue for me to be honest) that I can throw in on top of the insurance money if necessary.

Assuming I go with the suggestion above all I would be reusing from the old motor is the heads and intake then?

Any chance they are screwed up by the hydrolock? I mean, it had enough compression to literally blow a baseball size hole in the block and shoot the oil filter / block it was attached to off the engine and completely out of the car.

Also, from what I am reading into things, the stock transmission and axle ratio would be okay with whatever I do correct?

Lastly, is the EFI live a vendor here or do you have a link? I'm a computer techy in my spare time so I don't mind learning the electronics side of things.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if cash is not going to be an issue if you go over-budget.. that changes things a bit.

I would do exactly what I said, plus a set of LS3 heads, an intake(including rails), and a throttlebody to go with it.
this basically gives you a larger displacement LS3.

you will still be reusing the sensors from your old engine, external parts, etc... but all the big parts of the engine itself would be new.

EFI live is a software program. HPtuners is the other major one. I used to advocate HPtuners, but over the last few years, software licensing has changed, and I now feel that EFI live is the better deal for a self-tuner that doesnt own his own shop. the two are both more then capable of what you need.
the real problem is both have gotten better over the years, but also more expensive... cost is offset for shops since its "buy once, use over several cars" but for people buying it for personal use on one vehicle, the price has gotten kind of high..
buying it used and then buying more credits is also an option

you can download them both first and play with them if you're into that techie stuff.. Im a software engineer so im also into that sort of stuff.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by msu
Thanks for the information oChristiano.

What kind of hp would I get from a LS2 with the LS6 intake?

Also, do you know of some "Specialty Yards" that I could check out?
I'm not sure about numbers but I do know the LS6 flows better. The LS2 was the worst factory intake out of all of them. I'm not sure of any that are close to you besides Cleveland Pick a Part.

http://www.clevelandpickapart.com/

Just do your research and don't jump into it. It can ad up REAL fast. It's also about what your looking to get out of your car. Is it a weekend car or a DD? Etc. do you want 400HP or 500?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 PM
msu
Teching In

Mrdude_1

So, what small block would you recommend?

Can you post a link to all the components you are recommending?

I have seen threads about different size throttle bodies for example so I'm not sure which one i would need.

Also, what kind of hp would your setup yield?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: New Engine Suggestion for 2002 Trans Am - Blew Mine Up Today