Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Looking to purchase a WS6

Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase a WS6

Just as the title says im in the market for a WS6 and was wondering if anyone is selling theirs. Im looking for either a white or black one with less then 75000 miles. I would prefer a manual trans (good or bad idea) and would like for it to be stock but a couple tasteful mods wouldn't bother me to much. I drove my brothers friends goldish color one a few years back and fell in love with the looks and power of it. Is there anything I should be looking out for? or any feature i should look for? thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the 2001 or 2002 model. Those came with the LS6 intake which adds about 10 more rwhp stock. They are also generally more reliable than prior years.

Go with the Manual Trans for sure.

The 4l60E Auto trans in stock form is not the best in terms of reliability long term.

Tasteful mods would be: an intake lid, quality catback exhaust like GMMG, and MGW shifter, Koni shocks, and subframe connectors to start. Definitely fun cars, but hard to stop modding them when you start.

Good luck in your search as these cars are becoming harder to find. Use Autotrader.com to filter out your search.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or you can go LT1 and buy a first year run. I'm thinking of selling mine. 67K miles but has some mods.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are out there but yuou will pay for low mileage. Id get the manual unless you get a real good deal on an auto. 01 and 02 are best but intakes are an easy swap.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

actually he would be better to buy a 99 because the ls6 intake model T/As had the smaller cam and kept power the same, its easier to swap a intake than it is a cam LOL and cheeper, its really no difference what year you get just stay away from the 98 though
Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I'll buck the trend and tell you to go with the automatic. They're more common (you had to order the manual trans), and they're also more consistent at the drag strip.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Be ready to pay around 12k in either trans, other than that nothing really to look out for other than common sense
Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input guys I found this white 01 on Craigslist, but it looks to be a fake WS6. It has the hood and badge but has 16" abs wheels. The WS6 package is suspension and appearance right nothing diff with the engine?? Im planning on lowering it and putting some zr1 rims on her regardless if its a WS6 or not because im all about having the right stance. For the price its going for its going to be hard to pass it up unless there is a difference with power.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhiteGXP313
Thanks for the input guys I found this white 01 on Craigslist, but it looks to be a fake WS6. It has the hood and badge but has 16" abs wheels. The WS6 package is suspension and appearance right nothing diff with the engine?? Im planning on lowering it and putting some zr1 rims on her regardless if its a WS6 or not because im all about having the right stance. For the price its going for its going to be hard to pass it up unless there is a difference with power.
If the price is right, then go for it!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For LS1 cars the WS6 was honestly nothing special.
You get the hood, a 32mm front swaybar (2mm bigger than base model) 17x9" wheels (up from 16x8") and some small odds and ends hardly worth highlighting unless you get some options like bilstien suspension.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

You get a bigger lower airbox, that's it for power though
Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah no real difference at all especially if you are ganna mod it.

knowone would even know that my car is a ws-6 unless they looked at the door tag, it dont have any of the items that WS-6 has, I even got rid of the hood, which is for sale now BTW
Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

well i did a carfax and it was to good to be true it was involved in a front end collision......Im still looking around thanks guys for all the info
82cetuner what color is the hood?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Default 1999 WS6 White

You didnt really stipulate your price range. I've been kicking around the idea of selling mine. It is a 1999 with 56000 miles WS6 Six speed with T tops.
I purchased the car for $17500 and installed over $10000 in performance mods. It has been driven under 4000 miles in 5 years.
I have a whole list of goodies that I have completed, and also have almost every original part in a box in the garage. I would let it go if the price is right.
It is garage kept underneath a cover.
It is in the 22k range.
It has a D1SC supercharger with 8 rib pulleys with a ATI balancer. Twin intercoolers and an BBK aluminum intake. It was tuned by Fbody central in Baltimore Md. Made 425 horsepower at the rear wheels with 6lbs of boost. I have seen 9 pounds on my guage so I estimating around 550 at the motor.
It has Dynomax Stainless headers, with high flow cats and a Borla Catback exhaust. I installed a centerforce clutch and performed the clutch mod on on the master cylinder and installed an B&M ripper shifter. All the fluids have been changed to synthetic including the rear end. I have a strut tower brace, a Kenny brown frame connector kit, boxed lower control arms in the rear, and a torque arm installed.
It also has New ZR1 replica wheels from OEM Concepts with NItto 555r 315 drag radials on the rear.
I just installed over 500.00 in Auto meter guages, including Programable tach with shift light, Elite series Boost guage, and fuel pressure guage on the a pillar. New fuel pump in tank, new fuel injectors, and MSD spark plug wires.
See pics here.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=8841

Last edited by lugnutt; 01-21-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-21-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Each years have their strengths and weaknesses.

98-00 have slightly more agressive cam, but have an LS1 intake
01-02 have a slightly milder cam, but an LS6 intake

Also, the 01-02 cars don't have the air pump junk IIRC, which is nice because most people modding these cars do away with it anyway.

Auto vs. manual, you can't really go wrong either way. The Autos tend to be a lot friendlier than the manuals to the rear end (the weak link in the F-body's drivetrain), and autos are definitely more consistent at the track. Automatic cars are generally much cheaper too. That being said, the manuals are more fun to drive and can be slightly faster stock v. stock (not by much however). So that's all really your choice.

Personally, I'd look for a clean formula or TA. If you're putting aftermarket rims on it anyway, you've just taken away about 1/3 of what makes the WS6's "special"
Hood, 17's, and the lid. However, the lid is only very slighly better than a non ws6 car, and aftermarket lids are cheap and better. WS6's are generally thousands upon thousands more. If you're modding, rims and a hood is easy to swap out, and you'd save a lot of cash, depending on the price of the cars you find obviously.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

sorry lugnut too many mods and too much coin im only trying to spend $11,000 and would like it stock
thanks guys you helped a lot now im strictly looking for a 01-02 auto V8 i dont care if its a non ws6 although that would be nice but like MasterTomos said I can just get a hood and lid
Old 01-22-2012, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Just as the title says im in the market for a WS6 and was wondering if anyone is selling theirs. Im looking for either a white or black one with less then 75000 miles. I would prefer a manual trans (good or bad idea) and would like for it to be stock but a couple tasteful mods wouldn't bother me to much. I drove my brothers friends goldish color one a few years back and fell in love with the looks and power of it. Is there anything I should be looking out for? or any feature i should look for? thanks in advance
www.camarokingla.com They have alot of nice looking fbody's for sale, I see you don't live in Cali but I'm sure they can arrange something for you. Good luck on the purchase tho, "nice" TA's are hard to come by these days but they are out there.

Last edited by knight_rider; 01-22-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: URL edit
Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

sorry lugnut too many mods and too much coin im only trying to spend $11,000 and would like it stock
thanks guys you helped a lot now im strictly looking for a 01-02 auto V8 i dont care if its a non ws6 although that would be nice but like MasterTomos said I can just get a hood and lid
The only downside is about 3 times a week you'll get the "Nice car! Is it a ws6!?" at a gas station, parking lot, ect. and when you say "no" they reply with some random ignorant comment lol. It gets annoying sometimes, but as long as you don't care what stupid non-car people say, there's really no downside and you get much better bang for the buck. lol.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
The only downside is about 3 times a week you'll get the "Nice car! Is it a ws6!?" at a gas station, parking lot, ect. and when you say "no" they reply with some random ignorant comment lol. It gets annoying sometimes, but as long as you don't care what stupid non-car people say, there's really no downside and you get much better bang for the buck. lol.
LOL, similar to the stupid comments from ignorant folks, standing next to the hood while I'm filling w/ gas asking "Hey man, nice car. Does it have Ram Air?" Uh, yeah dude, CAN'T YOU READ??
Old 01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Also, the 01-02 cars don't have the air pump junk IIRC, which is nice because most people modding these cars do away with it anyway.
The 01-02 cars still had A.I.R, they DON'T have EGR

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to purchase a WS6