Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

96 T/A LT1 New Fuel Pump installed, won't start.. Please help..

Old 03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 T/A LT1 New Fuel Pump installed, won't start.. Please help..

Ok. I just finished installing a new replacement fuel pump, not the Walboro but a warrantied pump just the same. The install went well. At first there was a blown 15 amp fuse in the driver's side fuse block. When I replaced it, the fuel pump began making its familiar whining noise--almost like a toy turbo--upon turn the key in the ignition back to the OFF position.

I then tested the fuel pump prime relay, and noticed that there was 12v going to the ORANGE wire, but no other wires--leading my to purchase and install and new fuel pump relay. I've also replaced all the plugs, the wires, the fuel filter, and the battery and Optima red top, is fully charged.

I know about jumping the pump from the single connector on the LH side of the engine bay with 12v, and the Schrader valve pressure release. Still the car refuses to turn over.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I was think it would be something easy. Something that might need to be reset, but I've replaced darn near everything. I'm out of ideas.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

So the Engine wont even turn over ?And your getting power inside the car when you turn the key to the start postion ?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, it has got to be the fuel pump. There is a priming sound, but no pressure at the Schrader Valve. Power everywhere, even prime relay.

Guess another pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 T/A LT1 New Fuel Pump installed, won't start.. Please help..