Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

OEM Replacement Firehawk Parts

Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Replacement Firehawk Parts

Picked up a Firehawk a couple weeks ago and I need to replace two of the painted style rims. Wheels have been curbed and took some deep gouges out. I've searched high low trying to find somewhere to order the rims (if it's even possible). I'm assuming they are unavailable and I'll have to find some via private party. However, if anybody has any leads, let me know.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Teching In

I saw some used ones for sale on Craigslist here in Chicago. I will have to look again.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Nevermind they are the Chrome ones. Perfect cond. $850
Old 02-16-2015, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have had no luck finding two painted replacements. I wish I could just order two of them.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just have to be patient they pop up for sale from time to time. Ebay has some Chrome Firehawk wheels available.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Can you post some pics? You might be able to get what you currently have restored.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
Can you post some pics? You might be able to get what you currently have restored.
I had them looked at by a local shop. Two can be restored. One of them is iffy but the other one was a definite no.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by AmnSF
I had them looked at by a local shop. Two can be restored. One of them is iffy but the other one was a definite no.
If you are going to have two of them restored, why do you need painted wheels? You are going to have to have the restored wheels re-painted, so why not go for the polished aluminum wheels and just paint them to match? They should physically be the same wheel except for the paint, right?

Places like hubcaphaven, originalwheels, hawksthirdgen, Cleveland Pick-A-Part, etc. will have the wheels you are looking for. The first two may even carry them already restored.

Last spring, my car got in to a disagreement (at a high rate of speed) with a curb and I destroyed two of my wheels. I recall that the body shop sourced the replacement from originalwheels and that they required the old wheels back in lieu of a core charge.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

What I am saying is all 4 of the wheels have some form of curb rash on them. The driver side can be repaired. Front passenger has such a large gouge that it can't be repaired. The rear passenger was the one that was in question. Just looking to get the same style wheel the car came with and avoid having to paint match one to the others.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Save the manuals!

OK. Well, several of the places I mention above have what you are after.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looked on hawksthirdgen and I have to call for availability. Hopefully they have them.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Save the manuals!

The other places stay that they have them in stock.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I checked all the places you mentioned above and none of them had the Silver painted firehawk wheels in stock.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Save the manuals!

It could be a long search. You might try a local body shop to see if they have a secret source of supply.

When I needed two 17" replacements last spring, it took weeks for my body shop to find some. We were about to take any 17" we could find and then re-finish it to spec.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I have a question and this is coming from an owner that believes stock is best. Is your Firehawk a collector quality car or one with high miles and well used? If the latter, get some some sweet aftermarket rims and just enjoy the car. Collectors are not paying good $$ for high mileage examples when others can be had. Rarity is good, but only to a point. I won't pay solid $$ for a high mileage F-body and most others feel the same way. I've been around collector cars for decades. That's the way it works. Are there exceptions? Sure, but not many, and your car better be an elite example. Now if your car is near mint with low miles, then best of luck with your search for those wheels. I totally understand and think you are right in your pursuit of them.
*** I do want to add also, that if you are searching for those rims solely for yourself and your own desire to have them, that's a totally different story, and again, best of luck with the search. I was just bringing up a financial aspect of ownership because quality replacements are going to cost a small fortune. Even in my own stock world, that's tough $$ to lay out.

Last edited by NC01TA; 02-20-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I have a question and this is coming from an owner that believes stock is best. Is your Firehawk a collector quality car or one with high miles and well used? If the latter, get some some sweet aftermarket rims and just enjoy the car. Collectors are not paying good $$ for high mileage examples when others can be had. Rarity is good, but only to a point. I won't pay solid $$ for a high mileage F-body and most others feel the same way. I've been around collector cars for decades. That's the way it works. Are there exceptions? Sure, but not many, and your car better be an elite example. Now if your car is near mint with low miles, then best of luck with your search for those wheels. I totally understand and think you are right in your pursuit of them.
*** I do want to add also, that if you are searching for those rims solely for yourself and your own desire to have them, that's a totally different story, and again, best of luck with the search. I was just bringing up a financial aspect of ownership because quality replacements are going to cost a small fortune. Even in my own stock world, that's tough $$ to lay out.
Is it a rare car? Yes. However, it's no low mileage garage queen. But, it's been taken care of and needs very little to be *almost* perfect. I'm OCD about my cars, especially wheels. You would never be able to tell it has 149k miles. But I am looking for stock wheels just because that's what I want. Might I get some nice aftermarkets eventually? Yup. But in case I ever sell it, I would prefer it to have all the original parts it came with.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Robbie has a nice set of chrome wheels for $1000 in Athens, GA.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161606236359...#ht_714wt_1196

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...wk-wheels.html

Last edited by PontiacFan; 02-20-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by AmnSF
Might I get some nice aftermarkets eventually? Yup. But in case I ever sell it, I would prefer it to have all the original parts it came with.
Getting stock wheels could be a good investment. By the time you'd switch them out for aftermarket, they will probably be worth a ton. I recall that there are some reproductions out there but they don't have the original GM stamp cast in to them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Replacement Firehawk Parts