Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

01 formula wheel locks

Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 formula wheel locks

So I bought a formula about 3 months ago I went to change my stabilizer bar links and oh joy! wheel locks. So the thing is I dont have the key anywhere in the car, theres no card or paperwork anything that specifies what kind of wheel locks they are. If it helps at all I believe they are OEM. Any insight on what to do in this situation?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Search on the internet for "lug nut and wheel lock remover"

After you get them off, purchase a full set of nice non-locking lug nuts. Wheel locks are easily removed by thieves and are no longer a deterrent to them. They only make things difficult for you.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Sorry to disagree here but if I can discourage just 10% of the criminals out there I will own a set of locking lug nuts. I have them for all my cars and always have. For a reasonable $36 a set (that's what it was for my SS from the local Chevy dealer last year) I like owning them. Not all thieves are carrying 'tools' with them. It's the same reason you lock your doors. Sure criminals can bypass them easily in many cases but often the thieves move on to easier targets, like unlocked doors or no locking lug nuts.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Teching In

I had the same problem. I got a socket that would barly fit over it and hammered it on it came right off. Then i went to the autoparts store and bought four lugnuts for the car at .84 a peice. I live west of atlanta and unless you got 22" rims are bigger i wouldnt worry bout locks. Most criminals arent gonna mess with stock or factory looking wheels.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Ok so with the socket on lug technique does it actually work? im just worried that i might damage something that i dont intend to damage.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

I lost my wheel lock nut and the tire place just put a socket over it and they come right off. No harm.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

At least here in NYC, the days of finding your car on blocks missing it's wheels are long gone. They just take your car and work on it in a chop shop. Why take just the wheels and risk getting caught working on a car in the street when you can take the whole thing and leisurely work on it in a shop?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Teching In

sorry for the late replys guys but yeah that day i just threw a socket on they came right off went and spent $11! at oriellys for 4 of the oem lugs and should be gettin to my swaybar soon enough maybe ill paint it red while its off ;p

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 formula wheel locks