Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

ws6 ram air intake 2nd port???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ws6 ram air intake 2nd port???

i have a 1999 trans am 30th. on my air intake there is a 2nd port coming off the drive side of the upper box. the on is fore the sensor and the other one has nothing but an open port. i have seen some pics like that and some with a hose going down. but to where? right now it makes no sense to me, it is just sucking in unfiltered air. can someone please tell me where it is spos to go. thanks. once i figue out how to post a pic ill put one on there.

Last edited by difran25; 05-01-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

believe that is for air pump (maybe 00-02?) when i deleted mine i put lil cone filter on end someone has to have pics
Old 05-01-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by 01badbird
believe that is for air pump (maybe 00-02?) when i deleted mine i put lil cone filter on end someone has to have pics
Someone had switched mine to the slp style one so I switched it back to the pontiac one with the upper chamber with the hole. The spl one only had the sensor hole. I just out new air pump in. That system is all in tact and good. I'm not sure I even need this port. Might just plug it?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by difran25
i have a 1999 trans am 30th. on my air intake there is a 2nd port coming off the drive side of the upper box. the on is fore the sensor and the other one has nothing but an open port. i have seen some pics like that and some with a hose going down. but to where? right now it makes no sense to me, it is just sucking in unfiltered air. can someone please tell me where it is spos to go. thanks. once i figue out how to post a pic ill put one on there.
My '99 only had the IAT sensor on the driver's side and there was nothing on the passenger side. Some aftermarket lids that were made around that time had holes on both sides. Most of the lids with both holes came with a little cap you could put in that hole.

And yeah, you can just plug it up. It doesn't need anything connected there.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious why did you replace the slp lid with the oem?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
Just curious why did you replace the slp lid with the oem?
I wanted the one that came with the car in there. The pontaic ram air one has the second chamber above it which the slp does not. It also looks way better in there. The slp one is cheaper so I'm thinking something must have happened to the Pontiac one and they saved a few buck and went with the slp
Old 05-02-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by difran25
I wanted the one that came with the car in there. The pontaic ram air one has the second chamber above it which the slp does not. It also looks way better in there. The slp one is cheaper so I'm thinking something must have happened to the Pontiac one and they saved a few buck and went with the slp
That second chamber is actually the intake silencer. It does nothing for performance, actually it holds it back a bit. The SLP one is much, much, more expensive to purchase than a stock one and actually adds power over the stock intake (roughly 10hp). I'd search for dyno numbers to show you, but this topic and has been covered and beat to death since 1998 so you can probably do a cursory search and find out all you need. So, yea. Keep the SLP. Unless you want 100% concourse restoration and then you would also need to re-install the AIR pump and hoses, which I assume were also removed when the intake was replaced.

Quick Reply: ws6 ram air intake 2nd port???