Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Carfax us useless just so you guys know

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Carfax us useless just so you guys know

I just have to laugh, been trying to buy my old T/A back for a month, on/off ebay blah blah, needless to say some screwball screwed me at the last second in auction, thats fine it is what it is, but some stupid dealer bought my car not someone who is gonna enjoy it, took it across the country jacked the price, and listed it as 1 owner! BS I was the second then sold it to a third, I know some accidents and stuff don't get reported, but ownership?? come on lost all faith in carfax, not that there was much left anyway!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Did you see the Carfax or just looking at the dealer info?? I'm also very aware of the missed accidents, etc... but I have not encountered ownership issues unless the car was never registered properly. There are examples of missed VIN numbers (clerical errors at the DMV) but it isn't common.
Sorry about your missed buying opportunity.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

carfax, dealer has link right to it
Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps it takes a few months to update in the carfax sys after going through the states system?

Last edited by 666ws6; 05-15-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 666ws6
Perhaps it take a voile months to update in carfax after going through the states system?
Bought 2 summers ago, sold it last summer
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 666ws6
Perhaps it takes a few months to update in the carfax sys after going through the states system?
From what I have seen its pretty much updated daily...in fact I monitor it see when I can expect to get titles back.

Send me the VIN through PM and let me run it and see what it says.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Sorry about that. Gggrrrr. Just a bit of info, there's not much buyer competition in the PNW. Too many weirdos I guess.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey the dealer I bought my car back from listed it as a 2 owner vehicle, and I know beyond all doubt that I'm owner #5. It was kind of amusing listening to them tell me all about the car before they knew that I was one of the previous owners. They changed their tune real quick when I clued them in. LOL

Funny thing is that CarFax says it's never been in an accident, and I know for a fact it's been in at least one, probably two.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^

carfax lists my car as a 1 owner vehicle because at the time i bought it (2004) it was registered to a different state than it was actually in because the original owner was military and had it registered to a PO Box in Kansas, a state the car was never in. They reg'd it there in 96 when they came back from hawaii. when i bought it in 04 and immediatly registered it in FL, they figured the original owner did it so it shows up as still being a 1 owner car.

As for accidents, mine has had 2. both minor involving the front bumper cover colliding with something at a car wash and a bale of hay. the bale of hay incident is on car fax because there was a police report taken, but the car wash incident which actually cost more to repair since they also replaced the foam crush pad as well as the bumper cover, does not show up since there was no police report involved (although it was reported to my insurance company for comprehensive)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Carfax is a joke, I found out through a dealer at Anhiem Auction in PA its easily possible to change it if you know the right people. The dealer bought a car THAT THEY REPLACED a quarter panel on a few months before that had a NOW CLEAN title.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Launching!

I seen not too long ago a ROE viper maimed by carmax, they had a typo when inputting the mileage on its second owner which now lists it has having inncorect mileage and a salvaged title. Beautiful car never wrecked but has a salvage title that cannot be removed
Old 05-17-2013, 02:48 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
As for accidents, mine has had 2. both minor involving the front bumper cover colliding with something at a car wash and a bale of hay. the bale of hay incident is on car fax because there was a police report taken, but the car wash incident which actually cost more to repair since they also replaced the foam crush pad as well as the bumper cover, does not show up since there was no police report involved (although it was reported to my insurance company for comprehensive)
I bought my Formula with a banged up front fascia, so I knew it had been wrecked... but then when I had it fixed, I had them take the side moldings a logos off... when they came off, it was very obvious it had been repainted with the side moldings / logos on the car, you could see the slightly indented outline of them after they came off.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:06 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

This thread can stay as long as it stays to just discussions about Carfax. No requests or offers to help get them are allowed:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...ad-banned.html

I would suspect an occasional error from them. The reports are only as good as the folks that enter the information. Consider all the different resources that the information comes or could come from....
Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

good info to know. i only used carfax once for my tahoe
Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta

I would suspect an occasional error from them. The reports are only as good as the folks that enter the information. Consider all the different resources that the information comes or could come from....
Exactly! People (clerks, etc..) entering the info is almost always the problem. The VIN numbers are so long you can see how mistakes are made. Carfax is an excellent tool just like any other that helps someone in buying a car. It can reveal many seller 'omissions' but on the other hand it is not the bible of car buying. Nothing can replace in person and mechanic inspections.

Quick Reply: Carfax us useless just so you guys know