Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

30th anniversary vs 2002 Collector's

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30th anniversary vs 2002 Collector's

After finishing university and all that I am finally in a position to buy a nice Trans Am, which was my High School dream car. I have found 2 that interest me: a 1999 30th Anniversary Edition, and a 2002 Collector's Edition. The 1999 needs some interior work and has more miles, but is cheaper to compensate for this. The 2002 has fewer miles and is in better shape, but is more expensive. Ultimately if I really wanted the 1999 30th edition, for example, I would buy it and fix whatever it needed. The problem is that I am pretty much split 50/50 on which bird I like more...I really love them both. My question is regarding the value of the two cars if all factors were equal. The 1999's seem to be much rarer than the 2002's; are they worth more? I can't bring up a bunch of them to generate a mean price myself since there are so few of them to compare, especially in my area. For whatever reason I've always liked things that were considered rare and different, so if the 1999s really are rarer as it seems, it may sway me to picking that one over the 2002. If not so much I'm going back to square one and trying to decide which one I like more again. It's almost coming to a coinflip. Thanks for responses!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 30th is a much more desirable car. They made 1600 30ths and 2391 CETAs...so yes, the 30ths are rarer. But both are fairly rare. With that said if the either has any appreciable miles on then the collectability factor is null and void...they are tons of very low mile examples of each out there and a true collector will wont one of those. We just picked up a CETA with 1782 miles on it a couple weeks ago off of Craigslist!

Things to keep in mind on the 30th are that the seat covers will run you about $1000 to replace (repops even then) and if the wheels are peeling (and I am sure if it has miles they are) they are VERY VERY expensive to replace. Also chances are the stripes on the sail panel are bubbling and you cant buy just those stripes you have to buy the entire kit from Phoenix Graphics.

The 02 will run better than the 30th as well because of the LS6 intake. With that said I would still choose the 30th...the CETA is ugly as sin.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response! The 30th has about 107k miles, and the CETA has about 75k, so neither is really low enough to be well...I suppose a "true" collector car. The yellow 2002 gives me better vibes...it feels like its been taken care of better than the white 99. The white 99 still attracts me though; it's just so classy and it reminds me of the old 71 455 HO's, which are some of my favourite cars.

I'd have to disagree with you about the CETA being ugly as sin though lol, I actually quite like it. If you thought it was ugly why did you buy one?

I had factored in the LS6 intake of the 01/02s. I also know that a nice chunk of the cars have an LS6 block, which is kind of neat.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Both are beautiful cars. Trust your gut though.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Launching!

I agree with 97ramsst ad I would take the 30th over the ceta also. Are they m6 or a4 cars that's about the only thing that would sway me towards the ceta.

As far as why he bought the ceta, that's how he makes his living.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Both are M6. A4s are fine but not for me.

I'm starting to lean towards the 99. I haven't seen it and I'll have to make a day trip to go see it, but I got off the phone with the guy and it sounds like it's been looked after as well. He has already repainted and fiber coated the wheels. He also has all the documentation, including the original window sticker and work done on the car. I really like having that stuff. It also has long tube headers already, which is an upgrade I'd like to do myself on the CETA.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What price point are you looking at?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Oh and I'm biased but 30th wins by a long shot. The 02 is such a disgusting yellow.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Teching In

The price on the 99 is $13000 and the 02 is $16500. I'm also from Canada so the prices are generally higher for used cars; to purchase one from the states usually ends up costing more due to taxes and other useless crap that is a rip off, so it kind of limits what I can and can't buy. So basically for me it comes down to:
99 30th
+more "class"
+some tasteful upgrades/repairs (things like headers, refinished wheels)
+comes with all original documents
+$3500 cheaper
-needs some repair on interior, $1000
-about 30k miles more, 3 years older
-body in general looks slightly worse kept than the 02
-Will have to pass an out of province inspection to be registered (may be issues with lack of cats and non-OEM exhaust...it's such a gray area I can't be sure)

2002 CETA
+more "cool" factor
+fewer kms, 3 years newer
+body slightly in better shape
+needs nothing
-$3500 more
-would need to purchase exhaust upgrades

Last edited by Jotato; 06-30-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jotato

I'd have to disagree with you about the CETA being ugly as sin though lol, I actually quite like it. If you thought it was ugly why did you buy one? .
I bought it because it has 1782 miles on it and wasn't much more than the one you are looking at with 75k!

We have had 8 30ths and 4 CETAs including one of the actual lap cars from Daytona. True TA enthusiasts don't like the look of the CETAs but 30ths are the Holy Grail. With that said both cars you are looking at are way over priced IMO.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

First off, the comments on the CETA are totally 'personal opinions' and up to each individual's tastes. Why would anyone here be so immature to put down a fellow member's car if they happen to own a CETA?? I'm very disappointed in those comments.
Jotato, if you want a CETA, get one. Now the bad news. Neither car can be considered a desired collector car with those high miles. One day, way in the future, maybe if you parked the car now, and didn't chalk up another mile. There are many superb examples available that true collectors (buyers) want. They are clean, factory stock, ultra low mileage examples. Collectors will pay good $$ for them. If you bought either one of those cars you mentioned, each would be near the bottom of any car being sought by a true collector. My experience in this matter is extensive. 99 out of 100 collectors would not want either of those cars in their collection when so many better ones are available, as I stated already. It is important to understand this on such an important purchase. Sorry to be harsh but it is reality. Buy either one because you want an unusual car and let that be the only reason. Forget the collector equation in your choice. Just get the best car, and IMO you can do a lot better than those choices (at those prices) and I don't care where you live. I understand the nasty customs issues in Canada for importing US cars very well. I still think there are sweet Canadian examples available for better prices if you are willing to travel. Don't settle on your dream car. Best of luck!
Old 06-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Once again thanks for all the responses. In regards to finding cheaper Trans Ams in Canada, does anyone know of any good places to look that I have yet to find? As I mentioned used cars up here are a rip off compared to you guys down the in US, and that seems to be even more so with hard to find cars such as T/As.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jotato
Once again thanks for all the responses. In regards to finding cheaper Trans Ams in Canada, does anyone know of any good places to look that I have yet to find? As I mentioned used cars up here are a rip off compared to you guys down the in US, and that seems to be even more so with hard to find cars such as T/As.
Your prices you quoted seem entirely normal here in Chicagoland.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NC01TA
First off, the comments on the CETA are totally 'personal opinions' and up to each individual's tastes. Why would anyone here be so immature to put down a fellow member's car if they happen to own a CETA?? I'm very disappointed in those comments.
Jotato, if you want a CETA, get one. Now the bad news. Neither car can be considered a desired collector car with those high miles. One day, way in the future, maybe if you parked the car now, and didn't chalk up another mile. There are many superb examples available that true collectors (buyers) want. They are clean, factory stock, ultra low mileage examples. Collectors will pay good $$ for them. If you bought either one of those cars you mentioned, each would be near the bottom of any car being sought by a true collector. My experience in this matter is extensive. 99 out of 100 collectors would not want either of those cars in their collection when so many better ones are available, as I stated already. It is important to understand this on such an important purchase. Sorry to be harsh but it is reality. Buy either one because you want an unusual car and let that be the only reason. Forget the collector equation in your choice. Just get the best car, and IMO you can do a lot better than those choices (at those prices) and I don't care where you live. I understand the nasty customs issues in Canada for importing US cars very well. I still think there are sweet Canadian examples available for better prices if you are willing to travel. Don't settle on your dream car. Best of luck!
I guess because I own one I feel I can state my opinion on what I think of the car...I own one and he doesn't so the only members car I am putting down is my own. It's generally accepted that the cetas are not exactly the way Pontiac should have ended the Firebird story...in fact I talked extensively with Jim Wangers on the subject and called it one of the biggest disappointments to ever come out of The Pontiac design studios. I put a little weight on his opinion. But with that said they are collectible and nice cars...but imagine how desirable a SE tribute car would have been in its place.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Forget about long term collectibility.. There are prob 500 of each out there with little to no milage. For a car you plan to mod and drive, The special editions tend to be more desirable then a regular WS6 in turn holding value better. The CETA sounds like a better car, if you like the looks jump on it. A convertible CETA just sold on eBay for $7500. It was rough as well though.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

cets are ugly IMO

30th ann is one of my two fav 4th gen trans am. my other fave is a SOM ws6 ls1 4th gen
Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

97ramsst I agree with your assessment to a degree, but again, personal opinion by everyone, including the GM folks. Enough people at GM loved the car obviously or it would not have been produced. I like it a lot too, as do many others, or they wouldn't own one. I just don't like seeing the words 'ugly as sin' or as another poster stated, 'disgusting' when it comes to fellow members cars. I don't care if just 12 members are here on LS1Tech that own CETA cars. I just would not refer to other members cars in this fashion. You wouldn't want anyone to call your beautiful SGM WS6 those insulting names. Maybe it would not bother you personally but not everyone is on the same page. Fine, put down Fords or foreign cars all you want. They are fair game IMO on a GM site, but not fellow members F-body rides. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's the internet, but I'd like to think this Firebird section would be a bit more constrained.
By the way, Jotato, thank you for your very detailed PM yesterday. I responded this morning. Good luck!!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Why would anyone here be so immature to put down a fellow member's car if they happen to own a CETA?? I'm very disappointed in those comments.
Because it's the internet.

I mean... I can't even count the times someone has put down my car because it's purple, and I'm sure that's happened more times than people have put down the CETA.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

I'd get the 30th and put the wheels in storage. Keep the value, and limit the future wheel damage. Oh, and I despise the blue color on the wheels anyway.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

You can't go wrong with either!

Quick Reply: 30th anniversary vs 2002 Collector's