Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What upgrades should I do next...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What upgrades should I do next...?

I have a 2002 Collector Edition Trans Am and I've run out of obvious upgrades to do for it. So far it has:

Exhaust:
Dynatech Supermaxx longtube headers with high flow cats
Borla cat back exhaust system

Induction:
K&N Air Filter
SLP air lid
85mm bbk throttlebody
high flow MAF

Maintenance:
oil catch can
Royal Purple oil

Driveline:
4.10 differential gears (no idea what brand, previous owner installed them)
Monster Level 2 clutch with monster slave cylinder and 28 lb billet steel flywheel
energy transmission polyurethane trans mount

Ignition:
performance plugs and wires, can't remember the brand but I don't think they're the best out there.

Suspension/Tires:
Front/Rear Sumitomo tires: 275/40/ZR17 | 315/35/ZR17
SLP Front Strut Tower Brace
bilstein shocks/struts built to SLP specs

So, what should I do next? I don't want to push more than 450 to the wheels due to the wear and tear on the drive shaft and other parts. It's my only car and I drive it for work so I can't do an excessive cam. I do want to get a new intake manifold so that's probably what i'll do next, or i might do performance oil, water and fuel pumps as well as fuel rails. I also need to go to a nearby shop and get it professionally dyno tuned, but what's everyone else's opinion, what does it need?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Launching!

I would do a cold air (SSRA/FTRA etc) and a tune next . You already have an LS6 intake manifold so I wouldn't upgrade to the FAST unless you plan to do H/C. I would do a Tick Master as well, a must have for 6-speed cars.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by newchevyman
I would do a cold air (SSRA/FTRA etc) and a tune next . You already have an LS6 intake manifold so I wouldn't upgrade to the FAST unless you plan to do H/C. I would do a Tick Master as well, a must have for 6-speed cars.
Hmm, i've always been curious about how the cold air intake works with the ram air? that's why i've stayed away from it. the slp kit looks like it would eliminate the ram air, which is something i did not want to do.

also, what does the tick master do? i've never heard of it.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The SSRA is a nice little mod, but i'd just stay with the LS6 intake with your current mods.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Indeed^ Stick with the LS6 intake, great intake.

You can get a lighter flywheel also for the street. Get rid of catback and go true duals as well.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I daily mine with a decent cam, not too bad once you get used to it. I'm untuned which I think goves me much of my problems because its so lean but it hate hate hates when you expect it to move when its cold
Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

I'd definitely vote Heads and cams but I am quite partial to the sound of a nice lopey idle
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV
Hmm, i've always been curious about how the cold air intake works with the ram air? that's why i've stayed away from it. the slp kit looks like it would eliminate the ram air, which is something i did not want to do.

also, what does the tick master do? i've never heard of it.
Tick Master Cylinder, an upgrade over the stock master cylinder. Makes shifting a lot smoother on these cars since it pushes more fluid than the stock unit. Also, no more fighting to shift at high RPMs. Tick is a sponsor on here and most guys with a T-56 will say it should be one the first mods done. My last car didn't have one but after driving a buddy's several times with one, my current car will be getting one.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...or-ls1-f-body/
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Is it really that big of a difference? I think my car needs one since the new clutch because its hard to get into reverse now, but the drill mod really helped keeping the pedal from sticking to the floor unless I got lapped it
Old 08-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Launching!

I've never had it on any of my personal cars but have driven a buddy's car several times. My old T/A's clutch used to stick to the floor as well. I had bought a Tick Master for it but sold the car before I had it installed. Mine was a pain to get in reverse at times as well. I don't think I've seen one negative review for it on here. I'm waiting to pick one up used as they are pricey new.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by newchevyman
I've never had it on any of my personal cars but have driven a buddy's car several times. My old T/A's clutch used to stick to the floor as well. I had bought a Tick Master for it but sold the car before I had it installed. Mine was a pain to get in reverse at times as well. I don't think I've seen one negative review for it on here. I'm waiting to pick one up used as they are pricey new.
Same here, reverse can be stubborn to get into sometimes. But at over $300, there are plenty of other cheaper mods that I could get.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Launching!

I used to have the same mindset but throwing power mods at a car that can't shift at high RPM or you have to think/worry about when you do doesn't make sense to me. My T/A had this problem fairly often due to mileage/abuse. I haven't driven my current car yet since I'm overseas but I'd still rather have the peace of mind.

Quick Reply: What upgrades should I do next...?