Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Lets pull a trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets pull a trans

Just got my transmission out the other day. My clutch went out in my 96 trans am. I am having to wait til i get a new kit so im doing the basic maint. thats easier with the car jacked up like plugs, oil change, etc. but im wondering on what clutch kit I should get. I dont need anything more than street/strip. I have seen oem replacements and aftermarket street/strip kits. Zoom has one more on my budget but I like what I see with the Rams. Dont have much experince with performance clutch kits. What do yall like or use?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Launching!

The ram in my mustang wasn't too bad but it never made any power
Old 09-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

I dont have any mods on the car right now and the only things I am really thinking about is a 58mm tb, ram air setup and headers. So Im not putting out anything but stock power. I just want a reliable clutch for the most part
Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Launching!

After it sold I know the guy replaced the clutch but it did but outs for America everywhere it went when he took over and he ripped a gear out of my t-56 in it aswell so I'm thinking its early death was due to him, it did seem much better than my spec but not on par with the monster in my car. Just the best reference I can give with my experience
Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a 1996 Vette LT4 clutch kit from a chain store.

Lifetime warranty, it's good for 330 ft-lbs of torque, and it's chatter free!

(BTW - the Throw out bearing is stronger than the LT1 edition too!)

: )
Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

okay ill take a look at it, thanks for the help
Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

I finally got my clutch kit and was going to get started earlier but I can not find any marking on the flywheel to match up with the pressure plate. So im waiting till tomorrow so I can have better light, more time and hopefully someone can tell me how I can line the flywheel and pressure plate. The plate has yellow paint marking one of the bolt holes. I have looked front back and all around the flywheel teeth and I just cant find anything that stands out to me as far as an alignment mark. Also any tips or suggestions on resurfacing the Flywheel before installing? Thanks for any help you can give
Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Okay so I got my Clutch kit the other day. My car has been down too long and next to no budget so no shop help or balancing. I went ahead and did everything with what tools I have to use. I had the input shaft in and just a gap so I could pop the clutch fork in. I put the driveshaft back up to help keep everything straight. When I went to jack the back end of the trans up to get the fork in place and slide everything together the throw out bearing retaining ring falls out. This is a pretty hard job for what tools and work setting I Have. I was pleased with how I was doing other than the balancing I had to pass due to no money. I took the trans back down and put the ring back in and started over with the same results. I don't know how I can get everything lined up and in place being as gentle as the retaining ring is requiring
Old 10-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Got the clutch and everything done and in the car. I am still having the problem I had before I replaced the clutch. I get nothing when I try to crank it. it is just like im trying to start the car without pressing in the clutch pedal. I don't know what to do. I don't have the money to just keep buying new parts to try.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McCall 94 Formula
Got the clutch and everything done and in the car. I am still having the problem I had before I replaced the clutch. I get nothing when I try to crank it. it is just like im trying to start the car without pressing in the clutch pedal. I don't know what to do. I don't have the money to just keep buying new parts to try.
well, the switch that tells the car the clutch is pressed in is on the pedal, so you need to be looking there. try jumping the switch with it unplugged if it is a normally open switch and closes when the clutch pedal is depressed, which im pretty sure is how that one works.

Quick Reply: Lets pull a trans