Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New to the TA world and could use help..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the TA world and could use help..

I bought my bird back in march from a dealership and all they could tell me that the previous owner had done was lowered it which is obvious.. but my main concerns are whats been done under the hood and the actual hood. It's an aftermarket hood but I'm not sure what brand if anyone could help, and from what I've read up on the previous owner converted it to an LT1 air intake, I feel like this is a downgrade from a lid? he did upgrade to an SLP MAF though.. considering getting a volant since there is the cut out in the hood but there has been that foam insert idk what purpose that foam is serving?? It seems as if he had some kind of seal put around the cut out that went over the air box but all that remains is glue foam and missing paint there are also the cut outs in the back of the cowls sort of acting as heat extractors I suppose? any info would be great
Attached Thumbnails New to the TA world and could use help..-2dscn1158.jpg   New to the TA world and could use help..-2imag0781.jpg   New to the TA world and could use help..-imag0702.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

picture of the hood from the front of the car with it closed please. I wouldn't change the intake, just replace the missing foam.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Launching!

There she is in all her glory, just looks like a stock hood from the front.. firehawk wheels drilled/slotted rotors red painted calipers
Attached Thumbnails New to the TA world and could use help..-2013-10-30-13.50.57.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a Suncoast Creations WS6-style hood. Most notable from the rectangle shaped nostrils and raised hood bulges near the windshield. They could be optioned with heat extractors that came out the back of the hood under each bulge.
I had one on my 99 Trans Am
Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Launching!

You're exactly right thanks banditcar! did you have the intake mod too?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Launching!

I think you can tell in the engine bay pic.. that hose running to the intake on the right is part of the pcv system correct? idk much about it but I believe it is.. if so switching to a catch can would delete that right? Because its been taped together for some reason and looks like ****
Old 01-02-2014, 01:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BAN_ONE
I think you can tell in the engine bay pic.. that hose running to the intake on the right is part of the pcv system correct? idk much about it but I believe it is.. if so switching to a catch can would delete that right? Because its been taped together for some reason and looks like ****
If you're talking about the hose with the silver tape on there, that is factory, not a DIY botch job.
Attached Thumbnails New to the TA world and could use help..-img_20130614_151136.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 AM
Launching!

No not the fuel line, right by the radiator support in my engine bay picture there is a tube going into the back of the intake box and down into the fender somewhere. Right at the corner of the radiator support you can see it has black tape around it idk if it has been extended or just broke and "repaired" but it looks horrid IMO
Old 01-02-2014, 03:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh now I see what you're talking about.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

That tube taped up is the filter for the air system. It is a vacuum type of system that is used to heat up the stock catalytic converters faster than what it would take if the motor warmed it up. Essentially if you don't have emissions testing where you live its an extra 5 lbs you can removed from your car. The reason it is taped like that is because the previous owner modified his existing to fit that older lt1 intake.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

I forgot to add... it will also throw a check engine light. Unless of course the previous owner already deleted that catalytic converters and had it removed. Then that pump is ugly wasted space on your car.

If you want to keep it on there take it to your nearest auto parts store and buy a coolant hose adapter that fits it. Think it half inch but may be bigger.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Nice info thank you, I will definitely have that removed in the spring

Quick Reply: New to the TA world and could use help..