Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

foglight removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default foglight removal

I did a little searching but didn't find what I was looking for. Unless I missed it, is there a write up anywhere for removing the foglight housings in a 98 T/A.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TAvsGN
I did a little searching but didn't find what I was looking for. Unless I missed it, is there a write up anywhere for removing the foglight housings in a 98 T/A.
AFAIK, you need to remove the front bumper to get those bastards out.

I was looking for a detailed write up on how to remove the front bumper this past summer but I couldn't really find much of anything.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Well, I had the day off and decided to tackle this project. Surprised that it went much smoother than I thought. Thought I would share how I removed the fogs. I first pulled the three pins out the hold the lower part of the bumper cover that leads to the radiator and then remove the black plastic piece that is attached to it. Removing the black piece gives you better access to the back of the fogs. Unplug the bulb and remove it, then unbolt the fog bracket. Once the whole assembly is loose, use one hand to pull on the bracket downwards. While doing this, use your other hand to push downwards on the bottom of the foglight recess in the bumper. Wiggle the fog assembly out gently between the bumper cover and the frame where the light mounts. It will come out with a little pressure and not get damaged. Just reverse the procedure to install. Get the new light started between the cover and the frame, and a little wiggling upward will get it in position. Once I figured this out on the first light, the second one was done in no time.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Sorry I just found this. There is a trap door in the bottom of the bumper for this. Remove the 2 10mm bolts, the door happens, and you have access to the bolts that hold the housings in. (This is the same door that you use to change the turn signal bulbs.)
Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 AM
Launching!

I know the trap door, since I recently went back to amber bulbs in the turns from clear bulbs. Unless I wasn't paying attention at the fogs, I didn't notice being able to get at them that way. Have to keep that in mind. Pulling those three pins under the center of the bumper cover was pretty easy too, since the black piece under there was held with the same pins plus two 10mm bolts, one on either side, and just slid out.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Are the fog lights adjustable like the headlights? I noticed that one fog light aims higher than the other and seems to blind oncoming traffic.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Are the fog lights adjustable like the headlights? I noticed that one fog light aims higher than the other and seems to blind oncoming traffic.
Yes there is a bolt above the lights.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by TAvsGN
I know the trap door, since I recently went back to amber bulbs in the turns from clear bulbs. Unless I wasn't paying attention at the fogs, I didn't notice being able to get at them that way. Have to keep that in mind. Pulling those three pins under the center of the bumper cover was pretty easy too, since the black piece under there was held with the same pins plus two 10mm bolts, one on either side, and just slid out.
You know, I wasn't thinking about the T/A bumper here. On the Formula and V6 bumper, its a snap. I guess the T/A fogs would be a bit of a reach...

Quick Reply: foglight removal