Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Security light on, won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light on, won't turn over

This morning I was on my way to work in my 2001 firebird trans am and once I put my key in the ignition I wouldn't turn over. Immediately i began to troubleshoot and I noticed that the security light was on. It came on once before. (I had the car for a month now so I'm relatively new to the Pontiac world besides working on friends/coworkers). Anyways I saw the security light was on and wouldn't go away. I started messing with the key fob just holding buttons putting the key in the ignition and trying to get it to start. After pressing the lock and unlock a couple more times it finally worked. Not really sure what I did but if anyone knows it could come in use for future problems. This is my first post so go easy on me.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usaflynn21
After pressing the lock and unlock a couple more times it finally worked. Not really sure what I did but if anyone knows it could come in use for future problems. This is my first post so go easy on me.
I would imagine it was probably nothing that you did. Mine use to do this every once in a while, and the only thing to do is to wait until the light goes out and try again. This process was too slow for me when it happened, so I wired a resister in permanently.

There is a resister on your key and it may be dirty or not making good contact.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Youre issue is the VATS yiu can take it to the dealer for big $$$ or you can simply bypass the VATS its literaly like a $6 fix theres a thread on here ive done it to 3 of my Fbodys already with no problem
Old 02-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Restricted User

It's a VATS issue. DO NOT take it to a dealer, unless you want to pay $$$

By a replacement lock kit WITH vats keys on ebay. $69 and install yourself. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Security light on, won't turn over