Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

400 mile WS6 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 mile WS6 question

Hi all,

So I just purchased and received my 2002 Trans Am ws6 blk/blk hurst m6 car yesterday. The car has exactly 407 total miles on the car, is bone stock with no mods, and it is perfect in everyway without even a scratch or a spot of rust (the motor even looks polished/shiney). Definitely a car we will be keeping forever, we've decided to sell the 75 trans am and sbm g8 gt as this car fills their void and more.

Yesterday the car started fine and was driven off the enclosed trailer and into my garage. I started the car to pull it out of the garage and back it in, and twice later as my wife wanted to see it/hear it when she got home from work.

Today I tried to start it and it gives me one loud click from the engine bay. The battery is at 12.4 volts before cranking, and the lights are bright/don't dim when cranking. I checked the relays/fuses and everything looks great. I can also hear the relays click when I attempt to start it as well.

It's been a while since I've wrenched on anything (used to work in a shop way back in the day) and everything seems to lead to the starter imho, which is semi-working as it clicks. I know the car is 12 years old, but have a hard time believing the starter or solenoid is fried already as the car was only started 4 times a year for the past 12 years.

What do you all think? I really don't want to have to change even the starter as all parts are stock except for the battery.

Oh well, at least she looks gorgeous sitting there
Old 02-05-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

What a find! Like buying a new car.

With that low of miles, it very well may be a stuck solenoid in the starter. It obviously hasn't been exercised much over the years. Get under there and smack it with a hammer (j/k)........ or maybe something softer that won't leave a mark. You might also be able to use a volt meter to verify the starter is getting the right trigger from the ignition key to kick in the solenoid (which then closes the big contacts for the actual starter motor). I don't know for sure, but usually there is a big wire and a small wire going to the starter, the small wire is the trigger, and the big wire carries the juice to turn over the engine. Measure from the small wire to ground while someone turns the key to start, you should get ~12V. Also be sure the big wire isn't loose. If that checks out and it still isn't working right, you can always pull the starter off and attempt a repair yourself (or take it into a starter/alternator repair shop for a rebuild) so that you keep the original starter.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

charge the battery, and not a "jump start". 12.4 is low. It should be closer to 12.8v, and with all the "sitting around" & a few "quick start/stops", the battery is sure to be low. Congrats on the purchase, and btw, where did u find her??
Old 02-05-2014, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Wow 407 miles...so it sat for 11 years. Hopefully the previous owner kept up with the maintenance.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by judgeman6970
charge the battery, and not a "jump start". 12.4 is low. It should be closer to 12.8v, and with all the "sitting around" & a few "quick start/stops", the battery is sure to be low. Congrats on the purchase, and btw, where did u find her??
This. With as little as your running it, I would leave it running for 5 - 10 min. to give the alternator time to recharge it every time you start it. Maybe a run around the block once a week.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Teching In

I found the car in a collection in Alabama. I had it shipped to Wisconsin on an enclosed trailer to keep her from seeing any elements... which is why I can't driver her around any blocks for 2-3 more months (gotta love Wisconsin). I was going to drive it 500-1000 miles a year and do some small mods... but it is in such good/showroom condition that I am now nervous to even sit in it. I think she will remain stock except for maybe a bolt on cat back system (only problem is I think I'd have to cut the stock system off or drop the axle).

I'm also starting to think that you are correct about the solenoid, or maybe the starter jammed (very rare but can happen).

The battery has a 10/13 sticker on it so it is practically brand new. I pulled the battery and am going to charge it and let it sit inside my house as the 50 degree Alabama weather to -20 degree weather change probably didn't help the car any, even if it is in a garage.

Not too sure on how or when the previous owner serviced it. I know the previous owner took care of it and it was stored in a climate controlled garage. I believe he started it 6 times a year and let it run. I'm still going to change the oil as soon as the weather warms up as the motor isn't even broken in yet, but the oil still has a great color.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You might check your relays under the hood. I had a similar problem and I swapped the starter relay with the fuel pump relay and found out the starter relay was bad that way. Just look in your owners manual for location of relays. It might not be your problem but it's a quick & cheap check.
Let us know how it works out.
Good luck!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Invest in a battery tender/automatic charger for the off months.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice score! Did that car come from Athens Alabama?
I picked my 2000 WS6 last summer and it had 538 original miles
Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Yea you have a hell of a time capsule per say...i bet it still has that new car smell. I would say take care of it, but its not going to see much highway anyways lol. There is a good chance that the starter just needs to be replacedm when they sit up they tend to stop working over time...the brushes probably corrode.

I have a 01 Z28 and it sat for 3 years and it did the same thing all I would get is a click and the engine wouldnt turn over. I changed the starter out and it started right up.

Just another thought...if it does end up being the starter and you are **** on keeping the car original just take the starter and have it rebuilt.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn 400 miles?? I know cars are meant to be driven but I'd have so much guilt just driving that to the gas station

Pics?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:55 AM
Teching In

Nice car. I saw it on eBay. If I hadn't just bought my Hawk, I would have considered bidding on it. Take of that beauty.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Starters bad 12+v more than sufficient to crank it over. Sitting is one of the worst things that can be done to a car unless it's correctly pickled before hand.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Well, I pulled the battery out (felt frozen to the touch), warmed it in my house overnight while charging, and re-installed it today. Car started on the first try! The battery tested good initially, maybe it went into shock with the drastic temp change?

This is the car that was on ebay from Athens Alabama. I contacted him after it didn't sell due to reserve and paid him his full asking price.

Tried to upload pics but I received an error message due to 'website being updated'. I'll try again later tonight.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

May have been the connections at the battery terminals, very common not to be tightened properly.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Damn 400 miles?? I know cars are meant to be driven but I'd have so much guilt just driving that to the gas station

Pics?
Ditto, I didn't even like turning 60,000 mi this past fall. If you have pictures post some up when you get time
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Well, the battery felt frozen to the touch so I took a friend's advice and brought the battery inside my house overnight (and put it on a charger). Today I re-installed the battery and the car started on the first try! This really surprised me as the batter had tested good in the car... I thought it was going to be the starter for sure. Maybe the drastic temp change was too much shock for the battery because I've never seen that before.

This was the car that was on ebay from Athens, Alabama. The auction didn't meet reserve, so I contacted the seller afterwards and paid him his asking price.

I've tried to upload pics, but this website is fighting with me (says they are doing updates. I'll try to upload some later tonight.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well dont be afraid to drive it, mine now has 1,907 miles since I picked it up last June. Have not driven it since she was put up for winter the 1st week of December.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Wonderful find! Congratulations on buying a new 2002 F-body!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

disconnect the speed sensor on the trans and the speedo wont work along with the odo and drive it if your so worried about numbers.

Get a battery tender and leave it on all the time.

Quick Reply: 400 mile WS6 question