Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Cd changer questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cd changer questions

Hey guys I have recently started driving a 98 formula that I acquired in a trade. It has the monsoon tape deck with a the factory cd charger in the back. When I open the door on the changer the cd cassette does not pop out and there is no noise like it's trying to do anything. Also there is no button on the radio that says aux or cd for me to push to even make the radio look like it's changing modes or ready or play CDs. Any ideas? It seems like the changer is not getting power. I have done several searches today and not found anything specific to this problem. I did find info on the PIE adapter that tricks the radio to allow me to use an IPod or something. Probably end up going that route if you guys think the changer is shot. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Scrap whole radio put in a nice alpine or equivalent radio with built in bluetooth ipod control and enjoy it and it will sound a lot better even on stock monsoon amp and speakers.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check to see if previous owner plugged it all in. you may have the changer but not the correct stock stereo. I've seen the cd changer and the stock stereos for cheap on Ebay. This looks like the single cd player. There was an old version with the tape deck and the cd changer I believe. Find some pics on Ebay cars that show a lot of good detail, you may be able to figure out what combo you need.
Attached Thumbnails Cd changer questions-ponticastereo.jpg  
Old 02-12-2014, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Check to make sure the connector is plugged in on the side of the changer.

Pull the radio to make sure the flat 8 pin connector is plugged into the back of the radio this is the controls from the radio to the changer. Take a DMM at the changer and check for 12V from orange to black wire to see if changer has 12v. It should as it is powered off the same 12v that supplies power to the radio.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Turn the CD player in the car on, leave the engine off so you can hear if the changer is working.

The "play" button on your steering wheel controls changes the CD in the changer. The "seek" up button cycles through the songs on the CD. Keep hitting play and a functioning unit will keep changing CDs. You might need a friend listening with the hatch open. If you can't hear the changer at least trying to change CDs then you probably don't have power to the unit.

If there is power to the changer but it has some kind of problem, like a stuck CD, you should get an error code on the radio display. And even then, the changer should try to discharge the CD stack when you open the door on the changer.

You probably do not have power to the changer. The PIE adapters do not always work well either. I've got one in my parts drawer that I gave up on. If you decide to go with that I would just upgrade the unit. The adapter is old technology.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. Right now this is just a daily driver so I can save some cash and payoff some debt. I'll check the connections but I was already looking at some Bluetooth head units but had been told they would not work with the factory amps. Some of the speakers are blown too so it felt like they wanted me to buy a complete system.

Quick Reply: Cd changer questions