Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Trans Am 538 original miles and climbing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am 538 original miles and climbing...

Figured I would start a thread on my car, thought that I had before but I can not seem to find.
I bought this car from the original owner on June 10th 2013 and it had 538 miles on it when I started to drive it home. Car was 100% original down to the tires, new in the package t-top inserts and unused CD changer cartridge.

Bought it and drove it home, rolled in my driveway with 604 miles on it!
Needs a good detail to knock all the dust off but it still smells and looks brand new.

I ordered the SLP air cleaner lid and the SLP Skip Shift eliminator and installed them. Also picked up some pads and rotors from Brakemotive and installed them. I have kept all the original parts just in case she needs to go back to stock someday.She is not my daily driver and I rarely put 1500 miles a year on all the other "toys" I have owned over the years. I am looking forward to jumping into a car that looks great, runs great, blows out cold AC and gets better than 10mpg!

You can see the pad marks on the brake rotors in these pics. The drilled/slotted rotors look (and feel) a whole lot better!

Here are some under hood shots I took with the SLP air cleaner lid installed

Last edited by hardbones; 09-27-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed a stainless steel Magnaflow cat back kit

Stock exhaust all in place, tried to be as careful as possible taking it off.

sticker still in place on the left front corner of the muffler

Took some undercarriage shots while the exhaust was off, all this needs cleaned up but you can still see a lot of tags and paint marks on the undercarriage

Left and right hanger brackets installed

All mocked up and slowly tightend up

Took her for a cruise, love the tone and its not overpowering or loud. Love the sound when you roll into the throttle. Can feel a little difference in the power band.

Last edited by hardbones; 02-24-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked down just in time to see the odometer hit 999, grabbed the phone and snapped a pic...

Yes, that is 173 miles on a half tank of gas!

The more I drive this car, the more I love it! It drives so mellow and nice, then you roll into the throttle and the beast comes alive. What a great machine!

Decided to just try the WS6 Store short stick after it being suggested by fellow Trans Am owner. Quick and easy install and what a difference! I like being able to feel the trans go into gear and the throw is great!

Taking her to work today so I can go ahead and change the oil again, have put about 900 miles on her since June. I think the break in period is almost over.
1400 miles in this picture.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car had 1907 miles on her when she was parked for the winter on December 8th

Forgestar CF5's are ordered, the pics orangeapeel put up of his car is what convinced me to pull the trigger.
I have a set of Strano lowering springs and Bilstein SLP struts/shocks sitting in a box on the floor just waiting to be installed.
Tires arrived last week, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's

Last edited by hardbones; 02-24-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

it seems bittersweet to be putting miles on it , but they are meant to be driven and with buying that low of miles you know it will be nice .

You should get a mgw shifter , one of the best if not the bext shifter for our cars.

What else are you going to do as far as mods. It would be cool to have a larger cam put in but leave the manifolds on , also a ls6 intake would be a good mod, you would just have to cut a hole for the egr ,and no one would be able to tell its not the ls1 intake.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
it seems bittersweet to be putting miles on it , but they are meant to be driven and with buying that low of miles you know it will be nice .

You should get a mgw shifter , one of the best if not the bext shifter for our cars.

What else are you going to do as far as mods. It would be cool to have a larger cam put in but leave the manifolds on , also a ls6 intake would be a good mod, you would just have to cut a hole for the egr ,and no one would be able to tell its not the ls1 intake.
No engine mods in my near future. Going to get the Stroni hollow sway bar package ordered here shortly. Get all this stuff put on next month once the weather breaks and I can get her moved to the main garage.
Might do long tube headers next year but not sure. The car runs and drives great now, with the suspension mods and wheel/tire package installed she should be more fun in the curves now!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

looking good. I bought my first f-body in December, and haven't been able to drive it more than a few miles because of this lousy NY winter! I have been able to get a lot of little stuff done though. Its a 2001 NBM WS6 6-spd with 19k miles on her. Installed some 285 Nitto's, changed the fluids, belts, plugs, & wires, and still need to do some exhaust work. So far I'm pretty impressed with these 4th gen WS6 cars...and cant wait to put some more miles on her!!
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Trans Am 538 original miles and climbing...-2001-ta-1.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

173 miles on half a tank? When I hit half I'm usually at 110
Old 02-24-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M4N14C
173 miles on half a tank? When I hit half I'm usually at 110
I know, really did baby her a bit since I really didn't know what to expect from such a low mile car. She is gonna get her legs stretched a little bit more this year!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a beaut, not sure why guys lower them? looks? handling? looks are a personal touch so i can understand, if its handling I just don't get it my 96 was like on rails, ahh i digress i guess I really appreciate these in stock form, Looks great quite a find, I thought my 96 with 15k was ridiculous
Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hardbones, how do you like the slp lid? Fit well? Any performance improvement? THX!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet ride!You will enjoy the hell out of it! I also installed the WS6 Store short stick, and love it. Watch out cause once the modd bug bites, it's hard to stop! I got mine with 325 miles on it, but had to stop modding before I went into the engine. Glad I left it alone. Enjoy your ride and put the miles on it!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.. that's a beautiful low mile bird.. great example of a factory stock car. Kinda a shame to start modding it but to each their own. Congrads.

There are still a few of these low mile WS6 laying around somewhere still. People thought these were going to be a huge collector item when GM started talks to discontinue them. I remember in 2002 when I went to go look at one, the salesman said, you can buy it now hold on to it and double your money. I waited until 2007 and picked up an '01 with 7k miles 1/2 of the price. $32k sticker price in 2000 is much more now.

I'd love to get my hands on a low mile under 1-2k '02 Collectors, '99 30th Anniversary, or Firehawk/blackbird. Now those will be a shame to put miles on...
Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Wow.. You are one lucky dude!

I would have no problem driving the wheels off of that thing! Not many people at all now can have the chance to own a NEW 98-02 trans am and at a fraction of the original cost. Enjoy it and take pride in the miles you put on it.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by judgeman6970
Hardbones, how do you like the slp lid? Fit well? Any performance improvement? THX!
Hardest part was fitting the MAF to the lid, it was tight and you have to heat the lid up with a heat gun.
I think that I felt a little something as far performance goes.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jamin
What a beaut, not sure why guys lower them? looks? handling? looks are a personal touch so i can understand, if its handling I just don't get it my 96 was like on rails, ahh i digress i guess I really appreciate these in stock form, Looks great quite a find, I thought my 96 with 15k was ridiculous
In stock form they seem to just sit a little bit on the high side, here is a side shot of my car sitting on level ground with a almost full tank of gas.

It at least needs to be level.
I thought these cars handled excellent in stock form too until I rode in a friends 2002 Z28 with BMR springs, Koni struts/shocks and BMR sway bars. Damn thing stuck to the road like a Corvette!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hardbones
In stock form they seem to just sit a little bit on the high side, here is a side shot of my car sitting on level ground with a almost full tank of gas.

I thought these cars handled excellent in stock form too until I rode in a friends 2002 Z28 with BMR springs, Koni struts/shocks and BMR sway bars. Damn thing stuck to the road like a Corvette!

I think it looks perfect sure wish i had one in my driveway, Ive never been told no before everyone always comes to my price, dammit found the one I want just need him to move to a real price
Old 02-25-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jamin
I think it looks perfect sure wish i had one in my driveway, Ive never been told no before everyone always comes to my price, dammit found the one I want just need him to move to a real price
What are you looking at?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hardbones
Yea I heard it's night and day with good quality BMR/Koni suspension.

After my clutch install, I'm either going to get full BMR/Koni suspension or a set of Kooks True Duals. Can't decide which I should do first
Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Just installed Brakemotive brakes as well. I also have an SLP lid and a Magnaflow. Suspension I went with Bilstein/BMR, which I would recommend over the stock setup. Big changes come his weekend(weather permitting)...

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am 538 original miles and climbing...