Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

The slowest build/restore thread you'll ever see

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I had the patience to clean my car like that. You may have enough wire to just move it over and get some black loom to make it look stock.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pseudonym
I wish I had the patience to clean my car like that. You may have enough wire to just move it over and get some black loom to make it look stock.
Considering Im on the debate as to whether to replace all the wiring protectors or clean what I have (they clean up pretty decent), I might do that. But since Im pretty unresolved as to put a sub box in or not...
Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Killed two birds with one stone...err dice. Finally fixed my damn trunk release and made it look a little bit better in the process.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Enjoyed a run with a black Trans Am

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 05-09-2014, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I know these are boring updates but the only way I work on my cars is through clean/repair what I have then go about buying new fancy sh*t.

Was able to clean the factory mats to "like new" condition and went about trying to clean the seats and carpet.....looks better but a replacement WILL HAPPEN!
[IMG][/IMG]

Little details count!! Walmart generic cig. lighter
[IMG][/IMG]

Cleaned my door jams.....so this is what the paint is SUPPOSED to look like
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Just to give you guys a little look into my past projects....I stick to factory fresh restorations

Mazda MX-6: Grounds up resto

Mazda 626: As best as I could get it

Mazda 323: A B*tch and a half but CLEAN

BMW 316i: Another ground up resto

Mercedes 230E: Typical DD

1982 Mercedes E230: My favorite!

Last...my beloved 83 VW Scirocco:

Old 05-10-2014, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

This is a video of my junk....runs smooth but looks like sh*t!
[IMG][/IMG]

New tread!!!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

*** Shot!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Had some fun with some shoddy rattle-canning. Back bumper came out better than I expected.....front really needs a sand down BAD. But just to get it to look a "little" bit better, Im content

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-11-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just noticed you are missing the lug nut covers. They arent necessary but in case you want them, its Dorman part number is 611605, Raybestos part number 10004N. They are pretty cheap on rock auto.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

I just noticed you are missing the lug nut covers. They arent necessary but in case you want them, its Dorman part number is 611605, Raybestos part number 10004N. They are pretty cheap on rock auto.
Thankyou! Been wondering if I was the only without the covers.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem. I lost mine when I was doing my build so I ordered the raybestos covers. I think they look good.

Not bad for a rattle can, especially since you didnt sand first. You will have to sand it all the way down to the plastic to get rid of the spider webbing. (I cant tell if you actually have those stress cracks in the paint or if its just a reflection of the trees)
Old 05-11-2014, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

No problem. I lost mine when I was doing my build so I ordered the raybestos covers. I think they look good.

Not bad for a rattle can, especially since you didnt sand first. You will have to sand it all the way down to the plastic to get rid of the spider webbing. (I cant tell if you actually have those stress cracks in the paint or if its just a reflection of the trees)
Its stress cracks. This was more of a "shop for mother's day, come out with cans of paint" day. Just need a more cosmetic uplift. Have run into SOOOO many Firebirds and Trans Ams lately, I don't want to look like Im neglecting mine....even though its the P/O's fault.

Ended up racing him across a bridge.....think its a WS6. Never sought to ask.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has a WS6 hood, but that doesnt mean anything. People ask me if my TA is a WS6 and when I say it isnt they always seem disappointed. I have the flat hood, but I also have 550 rwhp. I just like the sleek beak better. Thats the end of my mini rant.

Nice job on that MX-6. Any before pics?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

It has a WS6 hood, but that doesnt mean anything. People ask me if my TA is a WS6 and when I say it isnt they always seem disappointed. I have the flat hood, but I also have 550 rwhp. I just like the sleek beak better. Thats the end of my mini rant.

Nice job on that MX-6. Any before pics?
I want to keep the flat hood but when I go to repaint it (off the car)...Im going to actually make those "vents" do something than just look pretty. Probably make use of those fog light holes with either some lights or ducting for some better air flow.

As far as before pics on the MX-6....I don't have any. Lets just put it this way....it was a rolling dumpster. Probably as bad as the Firebird when I got it. Nasty smokers leaving trash all over.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The flat hood flows with the body lines much better than the WS6 or Firehawk hood on the early fourth gen. You can get a noticeable gain if you grab air from underneath the car.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Had some fun with a Camaro.....thing was bitchin!

Keen eye will see the Trans Am across the highway

Watered the yard....and my girl.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Great thread! It's cool to see someone taking care of a previously neglected car, and having some fun with it too. It looks like you've had some nice project cars in the past, especially that gorgeous blue W123 Merc
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02DroptopZ
Great thread! It's cool to see someone taking care of a previously neglected car, and having some fun with it too. It looks like you've had some nice project cars in the past, especially that gorgeous blue W123 Merc
That Mercedes was the most gangster car I ever owned. I felt like a drug dealer...a very nostalgic one
Old 05-14-2014, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Alright guys....a little before and after engine shots as far as the past month has gone. Mind you...the "before" photo isn't really how I got it.....this was a after a quick rinse at car wash when I brought her home. And all this is just a simple bolt/take off and clean. The only thing "new" in the bay is the caps for the wash tank and brake reservoir which I got from a G6. Of course, Ive missed a few areas....Im not done yet

Before:
[IMG][/IMG]

After:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-14-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by delrio_bird
Alright guys....a little before and after engine shots as far as the past month has gone. Mind you...the "before" photo isn't really how I got it.....this was a after a quick rinse at car wash when I brought her home. And all this is just a simple bolt/take off and clean. The only thing "new" in the bay is the caps for the wash tank and brake reservoir which I got from a G6. Of course, Ive missed a few areas....Im not done yet
Looks much better!

Quick Reply: The slowest build/restore thread you'll ever see