Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Stalling / no start issue 02 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling / no start issue 02 T/A

Having what seems to be an intermittent issue with an 02 T/A. Finally got a 4th gen and have some issues which I did expect. Overall , car runs great. Then out of the blue at idle, engine RPM's flutter and shuts off. Feathering accelerator had little affect. Car will then crank and not restart. Cranks very well. Waited a min and started. Drove about 100ft and then stalled again. Same restart problem. AAA back to house and of course it fires right up. Seems like its running out of fuel. Fuel tank is fuel less 50 miles of hwy driving from earlier in the day.

Have noticed recently, the car will not start on initial turning of key, let of and turn key again and it fires right up. Wondering if there is a correlation? Prior to this stalling issue which just occurred, car ran great throughout RPM range regardless of gear. Have also noticed a 'blip' in engine when cruising up hill as lower RPMs. More throttle and it goes away. No sputtering or popping.

Upon starting after AAA, I heard what I hoped to be the antenna vs F pump as if it was that pump it did not sound healthy. More of a grinding sound vs 'whirring' Will need to check w/ radio off.

Background
02 WS6 M6, 59k miles all stock
Owned about 3 weeks

Thoughts
Doesnt seem like ignition as tach flutters vs drops. Thinking fuel pump or possibly crank sensor?

Will hook up pressure gauge to fuel rail to check that on my next free moment.

No engine lights aside from TCS & ABS which is from a melted wire I know about.

This issues happen before, common?

Have a couple other things happening but are moot if car doesnt run. Fuel gauge falls to E at random, 'Low Oil' light comes on at random. Oil & fuel both full.

Last edited by takid455; 05-31-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what you get. If you hit the search function there are quite a few posts that explain how to check your fuel pump In detail unless you already know what to look for of of course.

Last edited by NightwalkerLS1; 05-31-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have noticed recently, the car will not start on initial turning of key, let of and turn key again and it fires right up.

Common symptom of a failing fuel pump.

Have a couple other things happening but are moot if car doesnt run. Fuel gauge falls to E at random, 'Low Oil' light comes on at random. Oil & fuel both full.

As far as the fuel gauge, I have no idea but the Low Oil light is tripped by a sensor on the oil pan. They are a common part to fail after a while. The wires to said sensor are often damaged as well.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

TAkid, welcome to LS1tech!

Replace the fuel filter and see if the problem stays or goes.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help so far.

As Murphy's Law comes into affect, car starts fine w/ no hesitation and pressure is at 56-58 psi.

A new filter and pump are on order. If nothing else just as a preventative maintenance. Cant think of other reasons it would act the way it did.

Quick Reply: Stalling / no start issue 02 T/A