Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Im thinking about buying a Trans AM

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im thinking about buying a Trans AM

I am looking at purchasing a 4th gen Trans Am. I want to spend as little as possible (cheap I'm thinking 7k or less if possible). What should I look for besides the normal stuff. I would rather have an LS1 but the amount I am willing to spend it looks as if I'll end up with an LT1 and I would like a 6 speed. But I am open to an auto if the price and car was right (WS6, or a 25th anniversary). Any help would be great.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Steve, an LS1 car will be more reliable and down the road, there's much more aftermarket goodies available for it.

When you find one to consider, let us know. What area are you in?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll probably find one cheaper that's an auto. But other than that, I wouldn't cheap out on buying one cheap as possible. You get what you pay for.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Hey Steve, an LS1 car will be more reliable and down the road, there's much more aftermarket goodies available for it.

When you find one to consider, let us know. What area are you in?
NW burbs of Chicago. I'm in no hurry to find one I'm going to look till I find the right one. From what I have been reading 2001-2002 are the way to go. But I really like the 25th anniversary TA for some reason. I know it's an LT1 non WS6 but I like the look of the whole package. Been trying to find a manual one and the only one I found is modded and I contacted the owner and no response. I think he is asking 9k but I know for that kind of money an 01-02 WS6 is obtainable.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
You'll probably find one cheaper that's an auto. But other than that, I wouldn't cheap out on buying one cheap as possible. You get what you pay for.
I bought enough cars to know saving money on the initial purchase ends up costing more in the end. I look and look till I find the right deal. When I bought my 96 Z28, 15 years ago I test drove every 4th gen combination possible (at least 50 cars) till I ended up with that car it was mint with low miles green/dark cloth t top 6 speed with original GSC's on it. I paid like 12 for it back then. I got rid of it when I got married. Wish I still had it.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found mine at a jag dealer around 2007-2008. It had 67k miles, is a 6 speed, had one owner, and looked almost perfect inside and out. Only mod was a lid. They were asking 9k and I walked in saying asking about it and then told them I was looking in the 5k range and they met me half way at 7.5k. I'm sure you can get a good car in that price range if you look hard enough - took me about 3-4 months to find mine.

Remember when looking at prices that the 6 speeds get much better highway gas mileage than the autos - about 5-6 mpg - so you can factor that into the price. If you'd want a stall with an auto, then the city gas mileage would be much better with a manual as well.

As far as unusual stuff to look for, oil filters like K&Ns tend to trash our mafs quite quickly so if one has one inside it. I'd be prepared to have to clean the maf, at the very least. Also if test driving in the day, make sure the headlight motors work alright. Can't really think of anything else that's unusual - our cars are pretty solid.

Edit: A lot of people run into leaking t-tops in hard rains. Bring a powerful super soaker and blast them at the window to make sure they don't leak. I'm sure the salesman would understand and not think anything of it.

Last edited by Flaring Afro; 06-11-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:22 PM
o2k
Staging Lane

I was in the same spot.. Ended up getting an Ls1.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Everyone is right. If you get a 4th gen for $1,000-$2,000 you will put about another $2,000 in it. You should be able to find a ls1 car for $5-$6,000 with 150-180,000 miles on it.( I have had ls1 with close to 300,000 miles and still had great power and ran great) Alot of people try to sell them for alot but dont get the big bucks they hope for. Just keep after cragislsit or were ever you look for used 4th gen and they will pop up. just be ready to jump at one that is a good deal.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 19trans79amws6
Everyone is right. If you get a 4th gen for $1,000-$2,000 you will put about another $2,000 in it. You should be able to find a ls1 car for $5-$6,000 with 150-180,000 miles on it.( I have had ls1 with close to 300,000 miles and still had great power and ran great) Alot of people try to sell them for alot but dont get the big bucks they hope for. Just keep after cragislsit or were ever you look for used 4th gen and they will pop up. just be ready to jump at one that is a good deal.

Last time I was looking for a 4th gen they were building them new....LOL. I have seen a few LS1's with a lot less miles for around $7k. I look almost every day. I think craigslist is the way to go if your looking for a deal. There is a decent looking 97 TA on craigslist right now with less than 80k on the clock for less than $7k but it's an auto. I think I'm going to hold out for a 6 speed ???? 4th gen with under 100k for less than $10k. I am in no hurry.

I just want to know if these things are prone to rusting anywhere there isn't a plastic body panel. Under the plastic?? I know on the 93-97's you have leaks and opti-spark issues but what about the LS1 cars? Bad throw out bearings? Am I missing anything? There is an 1997 SS 30th with an LT4 on Ebay I'd love to get but he wants big money for it ($22.5K) that's out of my range. There was a 97 Hawk with an LT4 too that guy wants $8X,000 for it!

Quick Reply: Im thinking about buying a Trans AM