Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Drivers side window issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side window issue

Hey all,
I am pretty sure I know the answer but before I go and spend a fortune on new parts and rip my door panel off, I am having issues with my auto drivers side window.
Symptom - when selecting up or down, it only goes a few inches and stops. After giving it a minute, I select it again and it will go another few inches. Almost like it has to recharge a little. I am pretty sure the motor may be toast but it is a fairly new motor that was replaced by the old owner for the same issue. So I am thinking there is possibly something else which may cause this.
Reason it is a huge issue, it it a 2002 WS6 convertible and the windows are used often. Really looking for any other suggestions before I get my hands dirty.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:20 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue in my Formula... and I fixed it by replacing the motors. Apparently there's a fuse that will trip itself when the motors are heating up too much, and that's what makes it stop for a few minutes.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My drivers window has the exact same issue...I was told by a GM tech that the only way to fix is motor replacement.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Unless you rewire the passenger window with the autotrix fix both motors have a tendency to burn up fast especially if your using them at the same time. I was replacing at least one motor a year until i redid the wiring on the passenger side. I got my motors from autozone and they have a lifetime warranty so I would just go switch it out whenever it happened on both sides. Haven't had to do that in a while now and plus both windows go up and down quicker now.

Last edited by raynor139; 07-08-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by raynor139
Unless you rewire the passenger window with the autotrix fix both motors have a tendency to burn up fast especially if your using them at the same time. I was replacing at least one motor a year until i redid the wiring on the passenger side. I got my motors from autozone and they have a lifetime warranty so I would just go switch it out whenever it happened on both sides. Haven't had to do that in a while now and plus both windows go up and down quicker now.
It sounds like this is a fair problem with the fire chickens. I wonder if there may be some type of recall with GM. In the mean time, how did you go about rewiring the passenger side?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DlCE
Symptom - when selecting up or down, it only goes a few inches and stops. After giving it a minute, I select it again and it will go another few inches. Almost like it has to recharge a little. I am pretty sure the motor may be toast but it is a fairly new motor that was replaced by the old owner for the same issue. So I am thinking there is possibly something else which may cause this.
This is a classic failure of the thermal resistor inside the motor. (Time to replace the motor.) The thermal resistor cuts off the motor when it senses resistance, typically once the window is all the way up or all the way down. As it wears out and/or gets corroded and/or gets contaminated, it gets to sensitive and the normal resistance of the glass moving will cause it to cut off prematurely.

Letting the motor rest for a few minutes, will allow the resistor to cool off a bit to the point where you can move the window a little bit more. Pushing or pulling on the glass may give it enough "help" so the glass will move further in between times where the resistor craps out on you.

You'll want to address this ASAP, because the problem gets (quickly) progressively worse.

Originally Posted by DlCE
It sounds like this is a fair problem with the fire chickens. I wonder if there may be some type of recall with GM. In the mean time, how did you go about rewiring the passenger side?
The motor functions as designed. The part was first put on GM cars in the '60's, lived on in the parts bin, and made its way on to our cars. So, you are getting 1960 motor performance in your 98-02 car.

Dorman has created an all-new motor with an updated design that performs MUCH better than the OEM unit. So, you'll want to get the new updated design for your replacements. Don't be tempted to get the "original" part - it's been out of production for a long time and odds are that you'll purchase a reman - even if its marketed as "new." This site is full of posts where our members have installed "new" OEM motors to have them go belly-up right out of the box.

You'll also want to be sure to read up on the "shbox method" for changing the motors. It will make the job MUCH easier and will do less damage to the door. Changing the motor with GM's factory procedure puts a lot of stress on the regulator rivet holes and can do huge $$$ damage to the door.

Originally Posted by raynor139
Unless you rewire the passenger window with the autotrix fix both motors have a tendency to burn up fast especially if your using them at the same time.
This is completely false and untrue, so I'd encourage you to either give us some technical information supporting the assertion or to refrain from posting this type of information. Autotrix doesn't even make this claim. (... because it is not true.) There is a bunch of internet vodoo out there regarding these motors and the Autotrix kits have risen in the folklore to be something that they aren't.

The ONLY thing Autotrix kits do is reduce the normal voltage drop that the motors see. This makes a bad motor look better than it really is.

There is nothing wrong with the circuitry in the cars. If there was, there would have been problems with cars coming from the factory. (that didn't happen)

IMO - Now that the new motor design is widely available, with a lifetime warranty, relay kits are a waste of money.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advise . I will be looking at a new motor. If I am gonna do it, especially to this car, I want to make sure it is done right. That also explains why the old owner replaced it not long ago and the issue is back. Thanks all for the info. I will be looking around for a new motor. Cheers and thanks.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks wssix99! Good enough for a new sticky!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:55 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we need more sticky threads in this forum.... maybe like a whole first page that is just stickies.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:53 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

One section of the Trailvoy forums has 36 stickies on the home page. It's the entire page.

Quick Reply: Drivers side window issue