Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Window motor myths & truths

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pic.

It looks far more expensive to produce than the simple stamped shells we are seeing again.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I was so close to order the dorman 742-101 from Rockauto then i took time and read whole sticky........
Old 08-07-2015, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I am an ast manager at an Advance Auto hub store... I will check out the window motors when I go back to work on Monday

took the week off because I needed to
Old 08-08-2015, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Purchased a set, 7/4/15 from Amazon. Same as the ones pictured by jdoyle. Will install soon.

Installed on passenger side, works about as well as the original driver side.

A few minor issues. The holes in the motor assembly needed to be enlarged to fit the supplied bolts. Once tightened down to the regulator the seam along the bottom opened up.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
I am an ast manager at an Advance Auto hub store... I will check out the window motors when I go back to work on Monday

If you ever come in to contact with a Dorman rep, it would be interesting to see if they can dig in to who the previous and current manufacturers for the part were/are.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So.. no one knows what to get now? Was just about to order for pass. side till I saw this as well. Replaced drivers side years ago, no clue which one I got.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

silly question but Im also guessing the motors are still selling for the same price huh?
Old 08-31-2015, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
These questions and answers are from a discussion where forums member wssix99 gives us the straight dope on window motor issues and fixes (THANKS wssix99!)

When selecting up or down, it only goes a few inches and stops. After giving it a minute, I select it again and it will go another few inches. Almost like it has to recharge a little. I'm pretty sure the motor may be toast but it is a fairly new motor that was replaced by the old owner for the same issue. So I'm thinking there is possibly something else which may cause this.

This is a classic failure of the thermal resistor inside the motor. (Time to replace the motor.) The thermal resistor cuts off the motor when it senses resistance, typically once the window is all the way up or all the way down. As it wears out and/or gets corroded and/or gets contaminated, it gets to sensitive and the normal resistance of the glass moving will cause it to cut off prematurely.

Letting the motor rest for a few minutes, will allow the resistor to cool off a bit to the point where you can move the window a little bit more. Pushing or pulling on the glass may give it enough "help" so the glass will move further in between times where the resistor craps out on you.

You'll want to address this ASAP, because the problem gets (quickly) progressively worse.

It sounds like this is a problem with Firebirds (and Camaros). I wonder if there may be some type of recall with GM. In the mean time, how did you go about rewiring the passenger side?

The motor functions as designed. The part was first put on GM cars in the '60's, lived on in the parts bin, and made its way on to our cars. So, you are getting 1960 motor performance in your 98-02 car.

Dorman has created an all-new motor with an updated design that performs MUCH better than the OEM unit. So, you'll want to get the new updated design for your replacements. Don't be tempted to get the "original" part - it's been out of production for a long time and odds are that you'll purchase a reman - even if its marketed as "new." This site is full of posts where our members have installed "new" OEM motors to have them go belly-up right out of the box.

(The Dorman motor is number 742-101, same for L & R)

You'll also want to be sure to read up on the "shbox method" ( http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html ) for changing the motors. It will make the job MUCH easier and will do less damage to the door. Changing the motor with GM's factory procedure puts a lot of stress on the regulator rivet holes and can do huge $$$ damage to the door.

Unless you rewire the passenger window with the autotrix fix both motors have a tendency to burn up fast especially if your using them at the same time.

This is completely false and untrue. Autotrix doesn't even make this claim. (... because it is not true.) There is a bunch of internet vodoo out there regarding these motors and the Autotrix kits have risen in the folklore to be something that they aren't.

The ONLY thing Autotrix kits do is reduce the normal voltage drop that the motors see. This makes a bad motor look better than it really is.

There is nothing wrong with the circuitry in the cars. If there was, there would have been problems with cars coming from the factory. (that didn't happen)

IMO - Now that the new motor design is widely available, with a lifetime warranty, relay kits are a waste of money.
Thanks for posting this. I just got a 02 WS6 last week and it needs the motor replaced on the passenger side. I haven't read the whole article yet but I'm sure it will save me a lot of trouble. Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1

I noticed your in Cincinnati. I live in Loveland. Did you happen to find out anything on the window motors ? Thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
WARNING - WARNING - WARNING

Update - July 2015 - It appears that Dorman has substituted their 742-101 motor back with the old design. So far, we have not been able to locate who has picked up the truly new design or found a vendor.

History - Prior to Dorman selling the new design, it was sold as a Duralast. Dorman picked it up from them and Duralast dropped it. It's now MIA.
I contacted Dorman, they tell me they have not changed this part and that its not the OE design the picture Jdoyle posed looks almost exact as the other - other than the connecter end

maybe this substitute is Myth also
Old 09-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zman1969
I contacted Dorman, they tell me they have not changed this part and that its not the OE design the picture Jdoyle posed looks almost exact as the other - other than the connecter end

maybe this substitute is Myth also
So does this mean the one they are selling now is the "good" one ? I just bought one a week ago at AutoZone with the right Dorman part #. Do you think I should use it ? Thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I would assume so, I need them for my car and after reading this I looked into it. Ill buy them- they assured me they are better design than original
Old 09-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Teching In

I would assume so, I need them for my car and after reading this I looked into it. Ill buy them- they assured me they are better design than original
Sounds good to me. Thanks
Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Any updates on this? Im about ready to order a dorman driver side but I saw this.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Any updates on this? Im about ready to order a dorman driver side but I saw this.
+1 on this, driver side is toast. Getting windows prepared for tint. A1 Cardone or Dorman? RockAuto is half price compared to local parts store on both companies.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dark_Side
+1 on this, driver side is toast. Getting windows prepared for tint. A1 Cardone or Dorman? RockAuto is half price compared to local parts store on both companies.
I ended up going to the parts store and grabbing one. Limited lifetime warranty screw it.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I ended up going to the parts store and grabbing one. Limited lifetime warranty screw it.
Which brand did you get? I'm assuming cardone
Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dark_Side
Which brand did you get? I'm assuming cardone
Its actually a dorman #742-101 Made in Vietnam LOL
Old 02-23-2016, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

So the dorman unit they sell now is the new updated model?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by w02ramair
So the dorman unit they sell now is the new updated model?
No. The new updated model remains MIA for the time being.

Quick Reply: Window motor myths & truths