Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Window motor myths & truths

Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<non-sponsor link deleted>

this is a link for the one I am about to order for my 95 formula firebird. It is the Dorman. fingers crossed.

Last edited by wssix99; 08-09-2016 at 07:19 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link
Old 05-24-2016, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Checked all the ones on rockauto and autozone.com and 5 pages in on amazon and ebay. Could not find the new design
Old 08-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazon is Advertising Dorman 741-886 Front Driver Side Replacement Power Window Regulator as being and updated Regulator and Motor.

Anyone know is this is true and if they went back to the new Motor?

Last edited by wssix99; 08-09-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link
Old 10-01-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Im just dead curious, is it at all possible to retrofit a newer style window motor onto our regulator and if so, would it really help? Maybe from a 2010 Camaro or a newer car in general? I know the doors and regulators are probably way different but it is just a machine afterall, surely some form of adapter could be designed?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikadoWu
Amazon is Advertising Dorman 741-886 Front Driver Side Replacement Power Window Regulator as being and updated Regulator and Motor.

Anyone know is this is true and if they went back to the new Motor?

Unfortunately I believe the new Dorman motor that everyone raved about was short lived and is no longer in production and that Dorman went back to the faulty design to save production costs...so essentially...you'll be purchasing the same factory standard FBody motor.

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Im just dead curious, is it at all possible to retrofit a newer style window motor onto our regulator and if so, would it really help? Maybe from a 2010 Camaro or a newer car in general? I know the doors and regulators are probably way different but it is just a machine afterall, surely some form of adapter could be designed?
Quoting myself here. As it turns out, it IS possible!

With the help of another board member and his inspiration we found an adapter plate can be fabricated and used on Gen 4 Corvette Window Motors to adapt them to F-Body window regulators. The vette motors are about 30 - 40% faster than the F-Body window motors. They don't fall prone to the thermal resistor wear as the F-Body motors do as well. With the help of the adapter, they can be bolted on and off a F-Body regulator just as easily as a stock F-Body motor using the Shoebox method with absolutely no change in how to install or remove them.

The only slight thing with the motors as that the gear on the motor itself is not as long as the F-Body's motor gear...meaning... if the half moon gear on the regulator is bent, mis aligned, or in any other position than factory 100% perfect condition, there's a chance that the motor's gear and half moon gear will not mate.. I had this problem on the drivers side and chased it down until I removed my regulator and compared it to a new one. When I did I found mine was slightly belt..not visable enough to the naked eye but enough to push the half moon gear too far from the motor to properly mesh.

Here are some photos... stock motor and regulator on the right, corvette motor and stock regulator on the left.. then a video to confirm it does work...

Name:  IMAG2841_zpsckgun7te.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  133.6 KB

Name:  IMAG2840_zps8p326pog.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  189.8 KB

Name:  IMAG2836_zpspvy497nw.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  104.2 KB

Name:  IMAG2835_zpskilpcmze.jpg
Views: 2285
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  IMAG2834_zpswkzcxmdf.jpg
Views: 2314
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  IMAG2833_zpsasjmrpke.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  123.0 KB

--------
VIDEOS
Note this is working on the driver side even after removing and reinstalling a brand new AC DELCO regulator. Im not sure how the Dorman or aftermarket brands will hold up.

PASSENGER SIDE:

DRIVERS SIDE:
Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

Very intriguing!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
With the help of the adapter, they can be bolted on and off a F-Body regulator just as easily as a stock F-Body motor using the Shoebox method with absolutely no change in how to install or remove them.
What did you have to do for the electrical. Do we have a miracle/do they use the same electrical connector or did you have to splice a new pigtail onto the car?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Very intriguing!

What did you have to do for the electrical. Do we have a miracle/do they use the same electrical connector or did you have to splice a new pigtail onto the car?
They use the exact same connector, however; the connector sits deeper in the motor than it does on the stock F-Body motor.

On the stock F-Body motor the connector is right at the end of the motor at the very top. On the Gen 4 Corvette motor it sits deeper into the motor where the arm of the motor meets the hub of the motor... problem isnt the connector as much as the wirelength... It won't reach normally, however; there is slack in the window motor wiring inside the wireloom.. you have to undress the loom and pull the slack out and then it will reach.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Even more interesting...
Old 02-16-2017, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome! Thanks for showing them how the mounting plate is to be fabricated and what model motors specifically to obtain.

I actually have a question though. You mentioned that the motor you used has the gear molded into the motor. Are the other window motor options with removable gears? If so, would it then be possible to swap the gears from the F-Body motors to the Corvette motors to make them alittle more forgiving to damaged regulators?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

i am replacing my window motor and regulator

is this the proper rivet/screw kit? I plan on purchasing the proper rivet gun as well.
rivets:
Amazon Amazon

rivet gun
Amazon Amazon

thanks
Old 03-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by bleepster
i am replacing my window motor and regulator

is this the proper rivet/screw kit? I plan on purchasing the proper rivet gun as well.
rivets:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWNVKTK...=IC15172YKH8LD

rivet gun
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049E4VJO...I2XMDEE3Z11ZQX

thanks
Rivet Gun - yes. Rivets - no. You need to go to the dealer for the proper rivets, which won't tear up your door.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ thanks wssix99
Old 03-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by bleepster
^^ thanks wssix99
There are other threads on the rivets, but the ones from the dealer are (of course) the proper size and are an uncommon type with a steel mandrel and an aluminum jacket. (Usually the two parts come in the same material.)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah - i was aware of the special type rivet. the picture on Amazon wasn't a very good one. thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
There are other threads on the rivets, but the ones from the dealer are (of course) the proper size and are an uncommon type with a steel mandrel and an aluminum jacket. (Usually the two parts come in the same material.)
Hey man,

So I read trough the section and I'm still confused....I need to replace my window motor because it slowly just died, so I can buy rivets from the dealer and I'll need a gun from amazon but what window motor do I get? The Corvette option seems ok but maybe too much work???

If you or anyone could help I'd appreciate it....just trying to do a simple motor window swap if such thing exists lol
Old 07-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Right now, we don't know if a good upgrade to the stock motor on the market. So, your best bet is to make sure you get a lifetime warranty on the motor you buy and use the shbox method of replacement so any future replacements go fast and easy.

If you are doing the shbox method of replacement, there should be no need to remove the regulator or need the special rivets. The special rivets are for the door to regulator.

The regulator to motor attachments can be regular/plain 1/4" steel rivets. Most people use bolts for that connect, which are fine.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Save the manuals!

It appears that a new aftermarket option is out... https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...tor-motor.html

The manufacturer appears to be hiding behind a veil, (Overseas, no doubt.) a new regulator is required, and it doesn't look like replacement motors are available. (This last point is a red flag.)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check on RockAuto for ACDelco 11A37 and 38. Its the regulator and everything, but to me it looks like the newer style motor does it not?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by TheTinMan
Check on RockAuto for ACDelco 11A37 and 38. Its the regulator and everything, but to me it looks like the newer style motor does it not?
That's the old part. If you see a different picture, it's likely a web site content error.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have scoured this forum and have not found any other information on this subject that brings us to 2019. So, I am posting this: I believe I found a direct replacement Cardone "New" window lift motor for my 1999 Firehawk. I haven't seen this listed anywhere else on any of the forums so perhaps this is a new part release. IDK..Regardless, I have ordered them and they are on the way. Supposedly, Cardone has "re-engineered" this motor to be more torquey and can handle any mechanical friction caused by lack of lubrication and/or mechanical wear. Perhaps it can also overcome resistance from bad connections in old wiring.. IDK that either and this all remains to be seen.....

All I know is my passenger side window is crawling up and even though the driver's side seems ok for now, albeit slower than I would like, I'm not waiting for a failure.

The part number for the vendor I ordered from is 82-145 (I don't believe the vendor is a sponsor so I will not list it here). Just enter the number with the manufacturer's name in the search engine of your choice and it should come up.

FYI: when I entered that number into Cardone's website search engine, it didn't find it.

Here is a link to Cardone's description.
https://www.cardone.com/products/mot...ow-lift-motors

I think it was worth the price of admission so I ordered both sides, which is the same part number.

Moderator, if I have violated a rule, I apologize.
If anyone has already found this part and installed it, perhaps fill me in as to whether this was a good fix for your slow/dead window lift motors.

Last edited by gusser; 09-19-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
PrplBrd (09-24-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window motor myths & truths