Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Things to look for, buying advice

Old 07-18-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to look for, buying advice

New to the forum here, and hopefully soon I'll be new to the Trans Am community. Think I found me a good one near Dallas and will be heading up next weekend to check it out.

Now I've been reading around on the common issues, such as the window motors, rear hatch cylinders, headlights popping up when locking car, etc, and I will continue to read until I go and see it.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...2173/overview/

So here's the car, 62k miles. It's had three owners, and has stayed in two states, Illinois and Kansas. So this means to me look out for some rust from salt on roads.

But I wanted to just ask y'all's advice on what are some other things to add to my list to thoroughly check out?

Also, what would be a fair price for it? I saw another thread where a guy payed $11,500 from an individual for a very clean 2001 with the same mileage.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like it sold at three different auto auctions, three different times in three months back in 2004. That is a red flag in my book.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by njsteve
Looks like it sold at three different auto auctions, three different times in three months back in 2004. That is a red flag in my book.
if that was more recent then yea it would be a red flag but it's been 8 years and 40k miles since then, or approximately 2/3rds of its life since that shuffle.

wouldn't go anywhere near 16k tho, I would say closer to 12-14k (mainly because of the 6-speed), personally I would look for one in a different color, unless your buddies with all the cops around you, you are just asking to get harassed buying that thing.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Yea I like the red, but that is a valid point. Wouldn't be my daily driver but most times I would drive it would be when the cops are out lookin for trouble makers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things to look for, buying advice