Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Left Turn grind 2002 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Turn grind 2002 WS6

I don't know how I managed this but I went over a bump going 45 during a sharp turn and after that every time i get on it mildy or really hard the steering grinds when I turn left not right, what is this? It doesn't make any noise at all when I drive it hard to the right and the fluid isn't low, help please?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Check out the thickness of your front brake pads. If you have open style wheels you might be able to look at them without removing the wheel, if not, take the wheel off. Might be best to take the wheel off anyway so you can look at the inside pad too.

Brake pads have a little metal 'squealer' tab that is there to make a lot of awful noise when your pads need to be changed and before the rotor gets damaged. It is possible that your bump moved the pads a little and now you have the noise.

The tabs hit the rough part of your rotor and they can really get your attention because it sounds pretty bad, but it just means that it is time for a brake job. And the noise does tend to first show up while you are turning.

Check your brake pads, if they are all fine then I don't know, but that is the first thing I would look at.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you feeling this grinding in your steering or just hearing it? Another weak point that can sometimes break are the front sway bar link pins. I changed mine last year and broke the stock ones taking them off. If you broke one hitting a bump that would cause some steering issues.

You will need to get your car up on ramps or stands and take a good look around. The sway bar link pins look like this:

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...productid=1237
Old 07-24-2014, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was the front sway bar link thanks a lot

Quick Reply: Left Turn grind 2002 WS6