Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

car shows

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shows

car shows-20140803_151406.jpgHi all,

So my wife and I had our first child this past May, and took him and our now 480 original mile 2002 M6 WS6 car to their first car show ($8 per car, we entered our WS6 and G8). My car (showroom condition) was in the 94-02 category along with a beat up 99 ta (non ws6), my friend's red 50k mile 00 WS6 car, a friend's 99 mustang showing a lot of wear (car has been... driven), two mid 90's vettes showing wear/age, and a dale earnhart edition 3.8l Monte Carlo. Everyone at the show was saying that my friend's red ta and my ta would win our class and maybe best of show.

The judges gave a mediocre black 94 vette 1st place and the 90's v6 monte carlo 2nd place... no one else got anything in that class. They also gave 4 awards to 4 different 4 door 60's and 70's cars! Without trying to sound cocky, this kind of blew my friend's and my minds, as my car has no scratches, the car, motor, interior, everything looks and smells brand new. People flocked to my car throughout the day, which had the most foot traffic and activity in the show!

I learned from others that many of the car clubs or people that put these shows on vote for their members or friends, and if you are younger (29 years old), or have something newer, you might as well not plan on placing unless you have judges as friends.

The show was still fun (sitting there talking to fellow car guys) and I know there is more to shows than winning trophies (there were several other super nice guys with flawless newer Shelby cars, Camaros, gtos, etc, that didn't place). However, I'm not sure it was worth the $16 imho when our group could have went to a park, lined up our cars, and grilled out for free without judges making us feel like our cars were worthless.... Needless to say this show, which is supposed to be one of the best in the area, put a bad taste in our groups mouths towards the car show scene.

What do you guys think about car shows? Are they worth it or would you rather go for a cruise or meet/greet with your car guy friends in a park or restaurant somewhere? Has anyone had similar experiences?

(sorry the pics ARE right side up on my phone and home pc... somehow this website uploaded them upside down and it won't upload them the right way)
Attached Thumbnails car shows-20140803_151432.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Outside of your upside down photo I enjoyed your post very much. Welcome to the world of car shows! You are quite accurate in your appraisal.
I have been going to car shows since the 80's when I owned my 1975 Bricklin, my first show car.
People's Choice awards are my least favorite and you should never expect to win anything at those. Most people vote for their buddies cars and you get outnumbered. Are there exceptions? You bet!! I was stunned at a show earlier this year in SC when I won 1st place for my Aerocoupe in which the class was for '1980 to present' cars. A large class! I beat Corvettes and all kinds of sweet cars. Also, the large shows with 150+ participants negates the buddies votes, even if they have a dozen members in attendance. I have won something (2nd, 3rd, etc..) every year in my Mustang GT/CS where these large attendance shows are held. These shows are in 'class' categories so 2010 Mustangs aren't competing with 1965 models. Makes sense.
Judged shows are the best but you still have to contend with judge bias. I was a judge for 3 years locally and my bias was always towards original cars. We are just human. I'm being honest. I stopped judging because I was tired of hurting people's feelings. It's supposed to be fun. Many judges won't even consider our LS1 cars because they are too new. I've even run into this for my '87 which is now 27 years old. The newest car that won was a 1972. I don't go back to those shows since there are no classes, everyone is lumped together. In a huge show on July 4th this year every car was lumped together again. 1932 T-buckets to 2014 Camaros, plus foreign cars too. Out of an amazing display of machines, the Top 20 awards included two Volkswagens!! They were nothing special, trust me. I won't be back. I have no idea what the judges were thinking. On the plus side of judged shows I have won in 90% of every judged show that has appropriate 'classes'. Mostly in my Aero but I have won also in my 100% stock T/A, and you would have won at these shows as well. You would have beaten me out.
Points shows are a beast but very enjoyable if into that scene. I was when I owned my Bricklin and my '95 911. Talk about tough!! The judges are usually very knowledgeable but tear your car apart, deducting points with every dirt speck or problem part. Even then I was able to win a few awards, even at major Porsche venues in Atlanta. It's not for everyone but you get to see the very best cars in existence. I find that fun too.
The point of all this is that you MUST HAVE FUN and enjoy the ups and downs of car shows. It can be a downer when lesser cars win. I've seen it far too often, just like the VWs I talked about above. I still love spending my days outside looking at great rides and talking about the hobby. That's what it is all about. I was in a tough job for 25 years of my life. This is my reward. If the trophy thing is too important to you or is going to cause you grief, then cruise-ins or just car gatherings at your local Sonic would be the way to go. I like everything but enjoy the competitive side of shows even when you can't win.
Don't give up. Hope this helped a bit.
** Just wanted to add one more thing. I haven't been to an $8 show in years! I wish! I regularly see entry fees from $15 to $25. Be prepared unless WI is just low priced for shows.!

Last edited by NC01TA; 08-04-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

Don't let one show experience get you down. I've been going to car shows for 14 years and after a while you learn which ones to avoid and which ones to go to. As NC01TA said, participant judging or popular vote is simply a popularity contest. Whomever has the most friends will probably get a trophy.
I prefer judged shows, but on the downside, many judges like the muscle cars of the sixties and the old hot rods. Cars from the 1990's and newer have a harder time winning.
Some shows have a certain number of trophies allocated for newer cars and that makes it more fair.
So give it another chance and have fun! I didn't win a trophy for the first 3 years that I went to shows but now I'm doing much better.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

I forgot to mention, the Trans Am Nationals is in Fairborn, Ohio August 22-24. I'm not sure how far you are willing to travel, but they have many classes and you would have a fair chance at getting a trophy.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't let it get you down. I don't go to many shows anymore. And when I do go to one, I leave well before the awards ceremony. Just not worth the hassle any more.

The real reason to go to car shows is to to hang out with your buddies and make new friends.

Back in June I brought my 19,000 mile, completely unrestored, original paint, survivor 1973 SD455 Formula to a show in PA. I drove it there and back with my teenage son. (100 mile trip) We had a ball. It is one of 43 produced. The car didn't even place in its class. People would just walk by it to go see the "Smokey and the Bandit" cars at the other end of the aisle. No one noticed our plain, white, Firebird with a tan interior.

Me and the boy actually spent most of our time in the late model F-body aisle looking at the 93-2002 'birds. We ended up buying our 2001 T/A the following week. We have been driving that car to cruise nights recently instead of the SD455. It is such a fun car, and handles soooo nicely.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

The previous posts say it all. Enjoy your cars.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

We all have opinions. Judges are just people who are allowed to use their opinion towards your vehicle. I've said it elsewhere, no need to get worked up over a $12 plastic trophy. The people that do are the ones that ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have liked going to the car craft summer nationals the last three years, but I have never brought my car. I don't see the reason to pay more money so that people can look at my car. I may bring it next year since they have an auto-x course that is free if you pay to bring in your car.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People still go to car shows to 'win'?

I go to meet people and have a good time. Oh and that Dale Monte is at least an 02

Quick Reply: car shows