Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Possible blown shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible blown shocks?

Hey guys, first post here though I've lurked for some time.

I have a new-to-me 2002 Trans Am WS6, and its pretty solid except for a number of small things, and one big thing.

The big thing is what I suspect to be blown shocks. If I'm driving down the road and I go over any sort of seam, or sometimes those road dots, or any grooves, the car will want to veer off in that direction and it gives a serious pucker factor. Also going over most slight rolls/bumps at speed will have the car feeling like it is a pogo stick and it feels like its riding on air.

Now the second symptom there to me definitely seems like shocks. The first one though, might that also be an issue with worn out shocks?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome LS1tech!

Congrats on the new ride! How many miles? Color?

Yep, sounds like you need a set of Bilstein HD shocks. And probably some suspension stuff such as bushings and ball joints.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the reply Paul! I've creeped around here a bit while looking for a new car. And I apologize for breaking the unwritten rule of not posting pics of a newly acquired car. I'll get some up here or in an appropriate intro thread maybe tomorrow.

Its a 2002 WS6 - blk/blk, 64k miles, manual.

Previous owner put an SLP lid on, BMR sub frame connectors/ lower control arms/ torque arm/ panhard bar, Monster Stage 3 clutch, Moser 12 bolt rear end and 4.11 gears with Tru Trac differential. - Musta spent all his money on the rear end and nothing on the shocks...

Price? Probably more than I should have. Unfortunately I'm impulsive and when I see something I want it then, and right then!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:03 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like all the right goodies came with this one.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Teching In

As I'm not too adept at all things suspension, what bushings/mounts/bearings should I look at replacing while I'm doing the shocks?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Biznard
As I'm not too adept at all things suspension, what bushings/mounts/bearings should I look at replacing while I'm doing the shocks?
You will need to get new front sway bar link pins at least. You will need to remove them to change the front struts and if they are still the stock ones they may break when you remove them anyway.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Changing the rear shocks is pretty simple and doesn't require any parts other than the shocks. Write up with pictures:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=8

Front struts are a bit trickier and you will need a spring compressor and a few other tools, can be frustrating. Write up:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6

Both sets of instructions cover changing springs too, but you can just ignore that if you intend to put the stock springs back on.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have the alignment checked as well.

Quick Reply: Possible blown shocks?