Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Spark plug and wire change out on 1995 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug and wire change out on 1995 Trans Am

I have a 1995 pontiac Trans Am convertable 5.7 water pump went taking out the opti spark with it i replaced them both but i am trying to change plug wires and plugs driver side went easy pass side i got first 2 but cant get to last 2 and car has a skip still the engine code for opti spark cleared out so im guessing from what ive heard #8 plug n wire are usually the culprit i have stock exuast manifolds on it no matter what i do i cant get it from the top of the engine my arms and hands are to big Anyone know any tricks or helpfull tips to getting the last 2 im sure from undernieth might be better but do i have to unbolt motor mounts or take out starter i cant see a damn thing and cant seem to get my hands in there .. Thanks Jim
10 minutes ago
Old 08-14-2014, 02:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've heard of some guys taking the wheel off along with the wheel well lining on the passenger side front wheel to make getting to the spark plugs easier.

I've also seen it suggested that you drop the Y-Pipe.

Good luck either way. I didn't get the chance to do the plugs and wires myself when I owned an LT1 car. From what I hear, they're by far the most difficult plugs to get to on an F-Body.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Palm
I am trying to change plug wires and plugs driver side went easy pass side i got first 2 but cant get to last 2 and car has a skip still the engine code for opti spark cleared out so im guessing from what ive heard #8 plug n wire are usually the culprit i have stock exuast manifolds on it no matter what i do i cant get it from the top of the engine my arms and hands are to big Anyone know any tricks or helpfull tips to getting the last 2 im sure from undernieth might be better but do i have to unbolt motor mounts or take out starter i cant see a damn thing and cant seem to get my hands in there .. Thanks Jim
As you've probably figured, from the bottom - drop the Y-pipe and then the starter unless you've got a friend with thin forearms, then he might be able to slide past the heat shield and address #8 from the top.

(FYI - My heat shields had been removed and the last time I did them all from the top, I had the part number to the pass side exhaust manifold embossed on my arm!)

As for starting them blind, put a short length of rubber hose over the end where the plug wire attaches and then use that hose to hold and start the attached spark plug in the threads.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Spark plug and wire change out on 1995 Trans Am