Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

So I got a month ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got a month ...

Just picked up a 1998 T/A with 150k... registered in Arizona with no cats. I live in NorCal so that was a problem but I got it for so cheap that I could live with buying cats for it. Anyways, I got a month permit to drive the car so I can do the repairs. The thing is, i'm new to LS1 engines. I have always been a 5.4 ford guy. But I love my chicken.

Question is what kind of setup do I need to pass emissions here on cal, I have no cats and for what I can see there is a pipe welded from the headers ( stock i presume ) to the rest of the exhaust than leads to a muffler and exit tips. What kind of cats do I need?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You'll need a Y-Pipe with cats and the main cat. All of these are California specific. You'll also need to make sure that all of the O2 sensors are connected and functioning.

Unless you can weld yourself, you'll have to take it to a shop and tell them that you'll need all of that. Expect to spend $500 or more.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesnt texas speed sell a ypipe with cats?? Check them out and now might be a good time to get some longtubes with it
Old 07-23-2014, 12:41 AM
Teching In

We are good! i called my local exhaust shop and they just "happen" to have stock cats for my T/A $350 installed! same day went to get the car smoged and passed right away. Car is now registered and ready to go. Now I can move on to fix the other issues.

Some sort of oil leak coming from under the engine. Cant see what it is because of all the gunk and crap in there so I got to get it wash. Also oil leak from the rear end. This car came with some sort of gears or so the previous owner said. Speedometer is not calibrated as it says am doing 90 when doing 75 or so.

I fixed lots of electrical problems. Turn signal wasnt working so replaced the socket. Works now! left side low beam wasnt working but it was a loose connection at the main plug. Fixed! and refilled my ac.

One thing, my key gets stuck on the ignition. It's got the button you press and then turn. I have to wiggle to get it out. What can this be?

Also my steering column is loose, you can push down on the wheel and it moves down. Sucks when turning. Any ideas?

I want to get this car back to its glory so I will be painting it too.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Do you mean the steering wheel can move up and down a little bit without pulling the tilt lever? If so, the 3 screws that hold this section together have loosened up. If you have't done it before. Get with someone who has or use a repair manual. Airbag, steering wheel, the turn signal cancel cam and few other parts need to come out to get to these screws. When I fix this problem....I put a drop or 2 of locktight on them and they never back out.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS64Mula
Do you mean the steering wheel can move up and down a little bit without pulling the tilt lever? If so, the 3 screws that hold this section together have loosened up. If you have't done it before. Get with someone who has or use a repair manual. Airbag, steering wheel, the turn signal cancel cam and few other parts need to come out to get to these screws. When I fix this problem....I put a drop or 2 of locktight on them and they never back out.
Thanks that will help me a lot. I feel like if I turn too fast am going to end up with the wheel in my hand... detached from the rest. LOL

This car was my dream car for a long time. Unfortunately I might need to let it go since it needs so much work. Talked to my mechanic and said it needs about 3-4k worth of work. I dont have that kind of mulah.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian Estrada
Thanks that will help me a lot. I feel like if I turn too fast am going to end up with the wheel in my hand... detached from the rest. LOL

This car was my dream car for a long time. Unfortunately I might need to let it go since it needs so much work. Talked to my mechanic and said it needs about 3-4k worth of work. I dont have that kind of mulah.
You wont, but if those screws back all the way out, it can stop you from steering. Just had to do this on my 89 IROC, but it was bad. +1 to getting help, I had to disassemble that damned thing three times to get everything back right.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Teching In

I'm still considering if I will be keeping the T/A ... in the mean time I have ordered 2 idler pulleys to replace and a Cold air Intake... I was going to get the SLP lid but I got a really good deal on a dual intake with mounting brackets and all for less than $50 I hope this new idlers stop to squeaky noise from the engine. This car was in Arizona for a long time so the dashboard is completely cracked and the seats are gone. Easy fix as this are not mechanical but pure cosmetic. What really Bothers me is the steering wheel issue and the engine leaks. I will work on this and keep updates.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Teching In

I decided to keep my bird... order the new idlers and are on the way. I need a dashboard. Mine is cracked. How do you take this things out?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Adrian Estrada
I decided to keep my bird... order the new idlers and are on the way. I need a dashboard. Mine is cracked. How do you take this things out?
from what I've read, with a lot of swearing and bloody knuckles, LOL.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-pictures.html

unless your just talking about the upper dash pad (plastic piece on top) then it's pretty easy.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
from what I've read, with a lot of swearing and bloody knuckles, LOL.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-pictures.html

unless your just talking about the upper dash pad (plastic piece on top) then it's pretty easy.
Thanks to this thread I took the dashboard out and replaced it with one that came in to our yard. Rear ended but the whole front was good.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zlow28
doesnt texas speed sell a ypipe with cats?? Check them out and now might be a good time to get some longtubes with it
as far as I know all headers are SMOG illegal in cali, can't even have a SLP cold air intake. California isn't a modding friendly state.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:25 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch7
as far as I know all headers are SMOG illegal in cali, can't even have a SLP cold air intake. California isn't a modding friendly state.
Just make sure the part has a C.A.R.B. EO (Executive Order) # on it. I believe long tubes won't be legal in CA anytime soon because they relocate the cats. The law doesn't allow relocation of smog parts from the OE location, regardless if it affects the function or not.

Quick Reply: So I got a month ...