Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Key Fob Stopped Working - Not Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob Stopped Working - Not Battery

I just bought an '02 Trans Am a few days ago. A few hours after I bought it, the key fob stopped working. Before it quit completely, I would have to push the buttons a few times before they would work.

I have tried three new batteries, made sure the battery is in the correct way and I have gone through the procedure to reset it. Nothing is working.

I ordered a new one from Ebay and I am hoping that will work. Do any of you have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes!
Open it up again and seperate the circuit board from the rubber buttons. If there is gunk on the board, clean it off with rubbing alcohol. It should work fine afterwards. Same thing happened with my car, I thought it was the battery, turns out it was black gunk. Make sure you put the board back in the right way.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK you Alex! That was PART of my problem. The circuit board was filthy so I cleaned that as you said. It didn't work so I went through the reset procedure:

Turn Key all the way without engaging the starter to turn off security

Take the radio fuse out

Turn the key all the way without hitting the starter three times, leaving the key in that position.

The door locks cycle

Then I held the Lock and Unlock buttons down simultaneously. Within three seconds the door locks cycled again. The manual says hold them down 15 seconds.

I was able to lock the doors and unlock the hatch but the lock feature would not work. This only happened once, then nothing AGAIN!

I double checked my battery and it was good. Then I bent the tabs up that touch the battery. There is one that touches the outside of the + side of the battery. There is also one on the circuit board. It looks like a small chrome rectangle with notches in the center on each end. Both little tabs on each side of that piece were bent down and weren't making contact with the battery. I must have been pushing way too hard on the key fob buttons.

If any of you read this and would like to have photos, let me know and I will post.

Thanks again and I hope this will help someone else!

Quick Reply: Key Fob Stopped Working - Not Battery