Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Stupid tail light.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid tail light.

swapped all the bulbs, it's brighter now but that left one is just annoying.

What can i do. The bulbs are new. One is darker than the other. Do i have to buy a new tail light? I was looking at a thread and they said this happens when one is swapped and the other isn't.
I want to do sequential tail lights but not until i get the lights to look perfect.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It has to do with the reflective surface inside your taillight. They are known to degrade when water damaged and the bright silver covering peels off. There are threads on here that address the issue, but I can't find them at the moment. Essentially you pull your tail lights apart and then repaint the insides with a bright silver color and then reassemble and you'll be good to go.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

i had the same problem. i ended up replacing both tail lights.
my buddy also had the same problem. he used a heat-gun to heat the tail lights, and he pulled them apart. cleaned them up, used some "chrome" spray paint on the reflective surface, reassembled the lights, and now you cannot even tell a difference.
there is a write up on it - i seen it. let me look and see if i cant find it.

my buddy did say, if he were to do it again, he would have put the tail lights in his oven to heat them up uniformly. i think he said at 200*. i believe he epoxied them all back together. not really sure on that.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

here is the link i was referring too. not really a "write up" but it confirms what i mentioned above. you can see in this post how bad mine was - so bad - i thought i had "smoked" tail light on the drivers side. mine is the silver FB in the post (name BLEEPSTER)
http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums...1#entry1087881
might need to register to see pics.

Quick Reply: Stupid tail light.