Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1996 Firebird Headlight quit opening problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Firebird Headlight quit opening problem

Gentlemen the headlight door on the passenger side will not open. I have replaced the motor twice in the last several months. It worked intermittently but now not at all. I decided before returning this to the auto parts store again I would do some checking on my own. I checked the power to the motor at the plug-end and found it was dim and the other side headlight is bright and this is with the car off. I'm not sure why the plug is hot when the car is off? I'm thinking it must be a hot ground system. I have checked the harness underneath the ground straps and cleaned both the harness and ground straps. I still have low voltage at the plug. I went to the fuse box and checked it and it was good power to the fuse box. I ran new wires from the fuse box to the plug and got a bright light on my tester. Then I plugged it in and turned the switch on and the fuse blew. I am really stumped. Any answers, ideas, I could use help. Thanks, The Duckster
Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What you describe is consistent with corrosion inside the motor connector. (The headlight bulb wires also run through that connector.). Did you check that?

Quick Reply: 1996 Firebird Headlight quit opening problem