Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

General Lee Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Lee Paint Job

Hey Guys, I can't find any pics on the Internet so I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever painted a Trans Am in the General Lee scheme. Just wondering what it would look like.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have not seen any pictures because nobody would do that?! That would be horrific.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Blaspheme, those colors belong on the CHARGER only and anyone who would do it to another car is some ricer wanna be.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I wouldn't go there. I'm not gonna say Charger only, because it looks good on a new Challenger, but I would never do that to an F-body.

Actually I would do it to an Ariel Atom, with the flag on the air scoop and General Lee on the "tea tray", but only because ingress/egress is the same as the General Lee.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo...
Old 10-20-2014, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Old 10-20-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

There is a guy here in my town that painted a Challenger in the Lee scheme. I want to ask him if he realizes that it was a Charger, but I don't want to hurt his feelings...
Old 10-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Blaspheme, those colors belong on the CHARGER only and anyone who would do it to another car is some ricer wanna be.
Hmmm. . .Well I guess I won't be painting my Trans Am in General Lee colors. However I must say that a custom paint scheme dose not belong to a make model of auto. Knight Rider was a Pontiac Trans Am but that did not stop Ford from cashing in with their Mustang.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Furious1
There is a guy here in my town that painted a Challenger in the Lee scheme. I want to ask him if he realizes that it was a Charger, but I don't want to hurt his feelings...
I think he knows the difference. Those cars are quite simular and quite frankly the challenger is just a compact version of the charger so have at it. If I had a challenger I would do the same thing and I know the general was a '69 charger!
Old 10-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Teching In

LOL. What am I missing about this and why would it be such a crime. It's just a paint scheme!
Old 10-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FH212
You have not seen any pictures because nobody would do that?! That would be horrific.
Horrific is a little extreme don't you think? The Trans Am is a muscle car/race car. The general lee paint scheme is just a race car paint job! Any race car can use it. Now it's not a true general if its not a dodge charger but that's not the point here!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LTKNT101
Hmmm. . .Well I guess I won't be painting my Trans Am in General Lee colors. However I must say that a custom paint scheme dose not belong to a make model of auto. Knight Rider was a Pontiac Trans Am but that did not stop Ford from cashing in with their Mustang.
but KITT was just BLACK, no special paint scheme there, sure the reboot turned him into a mustang (that was actually pretty sweet looking, well until we switched to that ricer wet dream "attack mode") but that was because ford was paying a large chunk of the production costs to get all the product placement.

see we have the Bandit paint scheme for those of us that want to "copy" a paint scheme from a movie/tv show or the option to try to add some lights and create a more modernized KITT, something not like the thing that appeared briefly in the Knight Rider 2000 movie.

In all honesty I don't think the General Lee Orange color would even look good on an F-body to start with, maybe and this is a BIG maybe if it was done to a hardtop SOM T/A so it's less a copy more an homage, using the SOM color.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LTKNT101
Horrific is a little extreme don't you think? The Trans Am is a muscle car/race car. The general lee paint scheme is just a race car paint job! Any race car can use it. Now it's not a true general if its not a dodge charger but that's not the point here!
Personally? No I don't. That is probably the MOST recognizable cars and paint schemes of all time. And it belongs to, and on a DODGE. Because anyone who knows even a little bit about cars associates the General Lee with a DODGE Charger. 2nd place would be the 77 Y82 Trans Am in Smokey & the Bandit. And that's not even a good example because the "Bandit" as recognizable as it is, Is a factory scheme not a custom scheme like the General Lee. But just for reasoning, Would you paint a Dodge Charger, new or old, black and put a gold Phoenix bird on the hood with Charger in gold German script?? I would hope not. That belongs to a Trans Am, and that's why the General Lee paint scheme belongs ONLY on a Dodge. Anything else most people would be like But that's my opinion.........
Old 10-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FH212
Personally? No I don't. That is probably the MOST recognizable cars and paint schemes of all time. And it belongs to, and on a DODGE. Because anyone who knows even a little bit about cars associates the General Lee with a DODGE Charger. 2nd place would be the 77 Y82 Trans Am in Smokey & the Bandit. And that's not even a good example because the "Bandit" as recognizable as it is, Is a factory scheme not a custom scheme like the General Lee. But just for reasoning, Would you paint a Dodge Charger, new or old, black and put a gold Phoenix bird on the hood with Charger in gold German script?? I would hope not. That belongs to a Trans Am, and that's why the General Lee paint scheme belongs ONLY on a Dodge. Anything else most people would be like But that's my opinion.........
Noted. However this is America and until a law is passed forbidding the use of the General Lee paint job on any non dodge vehicle type it is in my opinion up for grabs.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Teching In

but KITT was just BLACK, no special paint scheme there, sure the reboot turned him into a mustang (that was actually pretty sweet looking, well until we switched to that ricer wet dream "attack mode") but that was because ford was paying a large chunk of the production costs to get all the product placement.

see we have the Bandit paint scheme for those of us that want to "copy" a paint scheme from a movie/tv show or the option to try to add some lights and create a more modernized KITT, something not like the thing that appeared briefly in the Knight Rider 2000 movie.

In all honesty I don't think the General Lee Orange color would even look good on an F-body to start with, maybe and this is a BIG maybe if it was done to a hardtop SOM T/A so it's less a copy more an homage, using the SOM color.
No, the point is that once Glen Larson chose the Pontiac Trans Am to play KITT it should have been considered blasphemy to use any other make/model in the new series. A 2002 Trans Am would have been a better choice. This seems to be why there is great backlash against painting a Trans Am in General Lee colors. The paint scheme with Dodge, especially the '69 Charger is viewed as a sacred thing. KITT as a Trans Am is also sacred. My point is that if Ford could flip millions of Knight Rider fans the bird and make KITT into a frickn' Mustang I should be able to paint my own car however I choose to. Guess I'm going to have to be the first to do it. Once everyone sees how cool a General Lee Trans Am looks. . .Well you get the point.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

It's your car, no one is saying you CAN'T do it, where just giving our opinion that it would look like total crap and would be a waste of several thousand dollars.

frankly after season 4 of the original knight rider and KITT's "super pursuit mode"

and Knight Rider 2000, having him be an old Bel-Air

they can do pretty much what ever they want with KITT.

Also lets not forget the KITT 4000

Quick Reply: General Lee Paint Job