Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Help me figure out my intake setup.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me figure out my intake setup.

I bought this 99 Trans Am a few weeks ago, and I noticed the air-cleaner assembly doesn't look like the pictures of other cars Ive seen, that are supposedly stock. The previous owner said he installed this K&N filter, but the air box seems to be different as well. Also, the inside opening for the hood seems to be different. Instead of ramming air into the front slit of a closed box, like most other pictures, theres this big square opening right above the open box, no lid. I have no idea if the filter is sealing to the hood.
Attached Thumbnails Help me figure out my intake setup.-img_0251.jpg   Help me figure out my intake setup.-img_0252.jpg   Help me figure out my intake setup.-img_0253.jpg   Help me figure out my intake setup.-img_0254.jpg   Help me figure out my intake setup.-img_0255.jpg  

Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like its made to mimic the LT1 Ram Air cars.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aftermarket WS6 hood with whatever hood company's air box.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after a few days of researching the internets, apparently I have a Suncoast WS6 Hood and airbox. I'm assuming this is a good thing?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:33 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not a "bad" thing, but it's not "better" than the OE setup. It's just a different means to the same end -- and a nice option for people who bought a Firebird without the WS6 package
Old 10-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct, that is a Suncoast hood and airbox. I put that setup on my 98. After looking at those last two pics, it looks like the hood is probably not sealing up to the airbox. The hood came from Suncoast with some block foam strips, which I don't see in your pics, to put around the opening under the hood to seal against the airbox. I put this on my hood, but changed to some tall rubber weatherstrip that hooked to the edges of the hood opening. Been a long time, but I think the original foam started to fall off the hood, plus I liked the look of the rubber weather strip more. I also looked up the part number on the filter and, if memory serves, it was used on a mid 90's Vette (just fyi). Lastly, I believe that they supplied a different upper radiator support with the kit too.

Quick Reply: Help me figure out my intake setup.