Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Exhaust question for 01 ws6

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 04:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question for 01 ws6

Hey everybody...

So i recently went to a exhaust shop to put on a bolt on borla exhaust in to replace my stock pipe with magnaflow tips connect to pacesetter headers. Well had to leave the shop in a hurry due to a doctor's appointment. So he welded a small 3"pipe to the connected piece from the headers tob the y pipe, so basically running open headers i guess you can call it. Is it ok? I was told that these motors need back pressure, but im loving how it sounds, plus she gets up faster and feels more powerful. Any suggestions? Am i at risk of tearing or burning up the valves?
Old 11-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Basically, is there back pressure needed for the motor, or is running it like these ok?
Old 11-16-2014, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You probably will lose a little torque and power down low but will gain a tad up top
Old 11-17-2014, 04:00 AM
Staging Lane

It actually feels stronger, like more torque
Old 12-03-2014, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are many myths of 'back pressure' and needing to have it with cats/mufflers/resonators..... things like backfiring back into the engine and hurting something internally.... I've never came across anything like this in the real world but like mentioned .... it could possibly change torque curve throughout the gears, that's all I got.

p.s. some auto shops wont work on your car if there are no cats...which is understandable, but seriously??
Old 12-04-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back pressure is not necessary for LS1s. The PCM is just tuned for "optimal" performance with the stock setup. Due to the tune you will see a change in torque and HP likely negative at some RPMs like what others have stated. Getting a tune would allow you to get the most out of new setup and negate any loss due to any setup change. Basically you will benefit even more with a tune! if you are on a budget you can look into frost tunes. He can give you a "generic" tune for your current modifications.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question for 01 ws6