Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Steering wheel feels like its going to come off

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel feels like its going to come off

on my way home from work i noticed me steering wheel is a little crooked (angled towards the passenger side maybe 1/4-1/2 inch and i can move it back to center but it doesnt feel right. Is something broke or are there some bolts i can tighten to straighten my wheel back up???
Old 12-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

figured out the issue there is a pin that locks the steering wheel on the left side of the steering wheel below the tilt and it had fallen out and gotten under my floor mat
Old 12-16-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neverlift17
figured out the issue there is a pin that locks the steering wheel on the left side of the steering wheel below the tilt and it had fallen out and gotten under my floor mat
glad you found the issue. Did you get it fixed? do you have any play in the steering wheel after getting it fixed? (if you ended up fixing it)
Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

yeah once i found the pin i seen where it went and once it was put back in the steering wheel was straight and has no play at all.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Did the steering wheel itself have side to side play or was it the upper half of the steering column that moved? On my WS6 and my old Ladys ss, the upper part of the steering column will move. It doesnt just flop around, but you can push down or up and make it move. Like people were using the steering wheel for leverage to get in and out of the cars. Both cars have tilt columns.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

it was the whole column that had the side to side play once the pin fell out it shifted the steering column towards the passenger side and i could push it back but it would angle back towards the passenger side when i would let it go but once the pin was popped back in the play from side to side is gone and there isnt any up and down play

Quick Reply: Steering wheel feels like its going to come off